Thread: Fasting Boosts Stem Cells Regenerative Capacity

Default Fasting Boosts Stem Cells Regenerative Capacity

Anne Trafton
    May 3 2018

As people age, their intestinal stem cells begin to lose their ability to regenerate. These stem cells are the source for all new intestinal cells, so this decline can make it more difficult to recover from gastrointestinal infections or other conditions that affect the intestine.
    This age-related loss of stem cell function can be reversed by a 24-hour fast, according to a new study from MIT biologists. The researchers found that fasting dramatically improves stem cells’ ability to regenerate, in both aged and young mice.

Read more: http://news.mit.edu/2018/fasting-boo...-capacity-0503
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Fasting Boosts Stem Cells Regenerative Capacity

Fasting improves the gastrointestinal system is fantastic news. Fasting, in general, has numerous health benefits, if done properly. For ex., fasting improves insulin sensitivity, normalizes ghrelin (the hunger hormone), and normalizes leptin, which boost your metabolism if needed. But, of critical importance, fasting allows your body time to destroy "malfunctioning" cells. It's called cell recycling. Read more here: https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...ts-of-fasting/

Does a 24 hour fast mean only drinking water? Is vegetable juice allowed? I'm thinking of trying it - I have managed 16 hours, but haven't taken it all the way to 24. I'm going to take this article to my doctor, who told me fasting wouldn't be any benefit.

I haven't intentionally done 24 hours for a couple of years, but I typically do 16-18 every day. My first meal of the day is between noon and 1 p.m. and my last at 7-8 p.m. I don't know if its advantageous, I'm just following my hunger cues. I've also put the emphasis on the main main at noon and a light supper at day's end.

Attempting an answer to Julie's question: I know there are juice fasts as well as the typical water fasts. Clearly there will be physiological differences but you would have to ask Dr. Google what they are.
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:43 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Most people fast every day but don't realize it. The word breakfast means to "Break - your - fast," given the 10 or 12 hours between the last meal at 7 or 8 pm and breakfast the following morning around 7 or so. Bottom line: a fast is anything you make it, from 24 hours of consuming nothing but water to going 6 hours without food only drinking juice. Different strokes for different folks....it all works!!

I have colitis, irritation of the colon, caused by medication after surgery a few months ago. (Not the same as ulcerative colitis, which is awful, but bad enough). I have been on a low fibre diet and I'm taking two caps of slippery elm before meals. It is working well and has successfully dealt with symptoms, but this caught my eye:

“Fasting has many effects in the intestine, which include boosting regeneration as well as potential uses in any type of ailment that impinges on the intestine, such as infections or cancers," That is why I asked about water, juice etc, as those details weren't given in the article. I do realise the study was done on mice, but I'm prepared to try it out. I guess the poor mice were just given nothing but water!

If I could regenerate my intestine I could go back to my normal diet - and I would love to tell the doc I beat this with natural remedies!

@Julieanne: If the slippery elm is working for you, I'd stick with that for now. Colitis, as you said, indicates irritation of the colon. But, more specifically, the irritation stems from "inflammation." As you know, a diagnosis that ends in "..itis" means swelling or inflammation, like arthritis. That's why the slippery elm is working for you because it's anti-inflammatory. I would delay fasting, until the colitis is better controlled. Fasting after your intestines are healthier would yield even better benefits, in my opinion. By the way, boswellia extract (frankencense) and curcumin (turmeric) are two outstanding anti-inflammatories, and work as well, if not better, than slipper elm. But, I'd stick with the slippery elm for now since it's working for you!!

Mr. Wizard, there are a lot of anti-inflammatory foods and supplements. Is it unwise to take more than, say, two or three at once?

Absolutely, Islander. There are dozens of very good anti-inflammatories. And, I agree you don't want to take a bunch at the same time. Some work better than others, depending on the body part. Studies show, for example, that vitamin C works better as an anti-inflammatory for joints, which makes it good for arthritis. However, herbs like slippery elm or boswellia work better for mucousal membranes, like the intestines, because the acid in vitamin C would be too harsh for the lining of the stomach. But, you're right....nature has given us dozens of very good anti-inflammtories. We just need to figure out which ones work better for certain ailments.

We just need to figure out which ones work better for certain ailments.
    Haha. I haven't even begun to get that sorted! I just eat good organic food, take a handful of supplements, and hope everything balances in the end.

Thread Information