Thread: How Do You Know Which Type of Magnesium is Best for You?

Default How Do You Know Which Type of Magnesium is Best for You?

Dr. Laurie Steelsmith
    April 4, 2018

Call it the Mighty Mineral. Playing a leading role in over 300 biochemical functions, magnesium may be prolific in some of the most healthful foods out there—almonds, spinach and avocados, to name just a few—but studies out of the National Institutes of Health report that most U.S. residents aren’t getting enough of the good stuff. What’s more, certain situations—from alcoholism and intestinal problems to a less-than-stellar diet—can cause your body to lose magnesium quicker than you can replenish it.

Keep reading: https://www.vitacost.com/blog/vitami...magnesium.html

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: How Do You Know Which Type of Magnesium is Best for You?

It is said that article chart item #7, magnesium l-threonate, is the only Mg version that effectively penetrates the blood brain barrier. https://www.drperlmutter.com/magnesi...-powers-brain/ . I take one 2000 mg capsule every day with breakfast.

Another Mg product kept in my vitamin/supplement supply is CALM, Mg citrate: https://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/
    Last edited by grulla; 05-09-18 at 09:44 AM.

Magnesium is definitely the most underrated mineral of all. As noted in the article, magnesium plays a lead role in over 300 functions in the body. While magnesium L-threonate is the type most effective at crossing the blood brain barrier, it is not as effective as other types for other conditions. For ex., magnesium citrate (the most absorbable form) is great for constipation, magneesium taurate works better for people with really sensitive bowels; magnesium taurate also is best for people with heart irregularities or cardio issues. And on and on. I prefer magnesium glycinate because it's multi-purpose, effectively doing the job of most other forms of magnesium and highly absorbable, although magnesium citrate is the most absorbable form. If the concern is Alzheimer's, mental acuity, or issues of cognition, then magnesium L-threonate can't be beat.

Thanks for that Mr. Wizard. I have been taking magnesium amino acid chelate for some time, but the name meant nothing to me. Your comments spurred me on to call the manufacturer (in Australia). It is derived from mag glycinate, so now I know a little more.

My 50 year old son last week had a spell of atrial fibrillation, so I'll mention the mag taurate to him.

I love how information gets shared across this site!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

A form I can easily get here in Brazil is magnesium chloride. Does anyone know anything about that?

Hi Pattypans: magnesium chloride tends to cause loose bowels, making it the most effective form for constipation. On the other hand, it can be beneficial for older people, as it promotes the production of hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, leading to better digestion, etc. However, people who have too much stomach acid, and/or suffer from digestive issues, like acid reflux, should probably avoid magnesium chloride or take in small amounts, less than 100 mg per day. Of all magnesium forms, magnesium chloride is a highly effective transdermally. Applied to the skin or added to bath water, magnesium chloride is very effective at raising magnesium levels.

Veteran Member

Thank you so much, Mr. Wiz. That's very helpful. Right now I'm using it externally (putting it in hot water, soaking a towel in the water, wringing it out and putting it around my neck like a muffler, for arthritis pain) and internally, also for arthritis pain. I've used it internally before, but not for a while; just restarted both last night. I've also used mag oil externally, but I think using it along with the moist heat might cause more to be absorbed.

I think it helped my sleep last night. Right now I'm going through a rough period with painful neck arthritis which makes it difficult to sleep more than a couple of hours straight. Although that was true last night as well, I was able to go back to sleep more quickly than I have been. It resulted in many more hours total sleep (tho' not uninterrupted, but still, what a difference!)

I've also begin looking into boron/borax for the arthritis. There's a good thread here on HH about it.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 05-11-18 at 08:11 AM.

Veteran Member

Mr. Wizard, or anybody: Do you know if water with magnesium chloride can be reheated and still have benefits? I dissolve the mag. chloride in cool water and then add very hot water, wet a towel with it, and apply to my neck. If a couple hours later, or the next day (or the next?) I want to reuse this water, I'll have to heat it. Will the magnesium chloride in it still be effective?

Thread Information