Thread: It's Not Fatty Food, Our Arteries Stiffen When Our Gut Health Is Poor

Default It's Not Fatty Food, Our Arteries Stiffen When Our Gut Health Is Poor

Bryan Hubbard
    May 21 2018

Arterial disease—where the arteries start to stiffen in the first stages of cardiovascular disease—isn't caused by eating fatty food. Instead, it's an inflammatory process that's triggered by the health of our gut.

People with poor levels of bacteria in their gut are more likely to suffer from arterial stiffness, researchers discovered when they monitored the health of 617 middle-aged women, many of whom were twins. There was an inverse relationship between gut diversity and arterial disease; in other words, the women with the greatest diversity of bacteria had the least amount of arterial stiffness.

Enriching the gut with more varieties of bacteria could be a better way to treat arterial disease and heart disease, say researchers from King's College London.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2018/05/i...=1526979820193
    Last edited by Islander; 05-22-18 at 12:58 PM. Reason: 100 words

Default Re: It's Not Fatty Food, Our Arteries Stiffen When Our Gut Health Is Poor

That's an interesting point of view, but I will have to disagree with the King's College researchers. The reasons for my disagreement are contained in the two articles below. AFAIC, this is established science. I've been following the Pauling-Rath protocol for years, taking 4 g. of vitamin C daily (yes, in divided doses) and taking Nattokinase as well. I'll not live forever, but I won't die of heart disease or stroke.

https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ead.php?t=5689
    https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ead.php?t=4310
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: It's Not Fatty Food, Our Arteries Stiffen When Our Gut Health Is Poor

@Islander: "...4 grams of Vitamin C daily (yes, in divided doses)...." This is quite a revelation. I didn't realize how much more deficient we are in vit. C than other animals. My only issue is urination. Whenever I exceed 1 gram of vit. C daily, I end up visiting the little boys room a few more times than I'd like to. How do you avoid running to bathroom all day, given 4 grams of C everyday???

I have been taking 3g vitamin C for a few years now, but not the lysine and proline. Islander, are these expensive, and can you recommend a brand?

The article above may not be totally at odds with the vitamin C theory. Perhaps, if your gut is not functioning well, you are not absorbing the nutrients you need for heart health. Maybe there is a connection? Just a thought. Anyway, I take probiotics and vitamin C, so I'm covered!

@Mr. Wizard, that has never been a problem for me. And when I feel a slight tickle or sore throat, I take a gram an hour all day. Next morning, all symptoms gone. I never get colds or flu, and have never reached bowel tolerance — which may suggest my [personal] requirement for vitamin C.
    I discovered Adelle Davis while I was still in high school, I think, and learned about Linus Pauling shortly after, so I've always been a great believer in the power of vitamin C.

@Julieanne: My first dose of C is first thing in the morning, along with my lifetime thyroid med, and it's the lysine and proline one. The rest of the day's doses are C with querticin & bioflavonoids. Here's a 60-day supply of the first:
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-sy...c+with+llysine
    And here's the second: https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-sy...with+querticin
    Some of these may come in different sizes. Oh, and I get my Nattokinase (and most supps) from the same source.

For what it's worth, I have been taking vitamin C (about 4 grams a day) along with l-lysine and proline for many years, as well. People in my family tend to drop dead from heart attacks of one sort or another, and I am determined not to allow that for myself. Probiotics tend to be pretty individual. The chiropractor who I see does muscle testing, and has determined that a particular blend of probiotics is better for me, at least for now. I have confirmed this to be true by running out occasionally, and substituting other blends of probiotics, which have much lesser good effects for me.

Hm. I've always been skeptical of muscle testing. So you're a believer?

@Islander: Thanks for providing info. on the types of vit. C you take. A key difference is the bulk of vit. C you take throughout the day (the 2nd one) is from "acid-neutralized" vit. C. This is much gentler on the system than the one I take, which is ascorbic acid with a strong dose of the bioflavanoid "rose hips." I'm going to give your sources a try because I would like to take more vit. C. Like you and others here, I believe in the power of C. Again, thanks for sharing.

I've tried various forms. For a while I was taking powdered ascorbic acid, but measuring and mixing a dose was just that little bit more awkward than poppiing a pill, and forget it when traveling! I'm very satisfied with my current regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Hm. I've always been skeptical of muscle testing. So you're a believer?
    What I believe is that the effects within my body have corroborated what the doctor's muscle testing showed in this case. So that is as far as I am willing to go with "believing".

Fair enough. Always sounded like the "woo" we are so often accused of.

Thread Information