Thread: Why I Am Closing My Pain Practice

Default Why I Am Closing My Pain Practice

anonymous
    January 17, 2018

(Editor’s note: Patient abandonment is a serious and growing problem in the pain community. Thousands of patients have been discharged by doctors who have grown fearful of treating chronic pain and losing their medical licenses for prescribing opioid medication. We were recently contacted by a nurse practitioner, who offered her perspective on this disturbing trend. The author asked to remain anonymous.)

I am a nurse practitioner who has been in the field of pain management for the past 4 years. Prior to that, I spent years as an intensive care unit nurse and in primary care as an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP).
    Working with chronic pain patients has been the highlight of my professional career. I absolutely love my job and about 99% of my patients. I have had two complaints about me made to the Washington State Department of Health, both of which accused me of prescribing too much opioid medication to my patients. Both complaints were investigated by the state and I was found to be practicing within the standards of care -- and essentially told to continue. Which I did.

Keep reading: https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stor...-pain-practice

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Why I Am Closing My Pain Practice

This story leaves me sad and angry! But it is interesting to hear the other side - mostly all we hear about these days is addiction.

Thread Information