Thread: Serious New Hurdle For CRISPR: Edited Cells Might Cause Cancer, Find Two Studies

Default Serious New Hurdle For CRISPR: Edited Cells Might Cause Cancer, Find Two Studies

Sharon Begley
    June 11 2018

Editing cells’ genomes with CRISPR-Cas9 might increase the risk that the altered cells, intended to treat disease, will trigger cancer, two studies published on Monday warn — a potential game-changer for the companies developing CRISPR-based therapies.
    In the studies, published in Nature Medicine, scientists found that cells whose genomes are successfully edited by CRISPR-Cas9 have the potential to seed tumors inside a patient. That could make some CRISPR’d cells ticking time bombs, according to researchers from Sweden’s Karolinska Institute and, separately, Novartis.

Read more: https://www.statnews.com/2018/06/11/...-cause-cancer/
    Last edited by Islander; 06-12-18 at 12:19 PM. Reason: italicize journal title

Default Re: Serious New Hurdle For CRISPR: Edited Cells Might Cause Cancer, Find Two Studies

I've thought the whole CRISPR-Cas9 technology was concerning from the very beginning. I guess I know just enough about it to be concerned. And now, it seems, there's good reason.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Serious New Hurdle For CRISPR: Edited Cells Might Cause Cancer, Find Two Studies

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I've thought the whole CRISPR-Cas9 technology was concerning from the very beginning. I guess I know just enough about it to be concerned. And now, it seems, there's good reason.
    If only these people would take the precautionary principle seriously! How many disasters and potential disasters, over how many decades, will it take? Huge sigh, though that doesn't do the subject justice...

Thread Information