Thread: Randomized Controlled Trials of Psychiatric Drugs Tell of Harm Done

Default Randomized Controlled Trials of Psychiatric Drugs Tell of Harm Done

Robert Whitaker
    June 15, 2018

Randomized controlled trials are seen as the gold standard for guiding “evidence based medicine,” and up until recently, I didn’t pay much attention to the “kind” of evidence they provided. But after writing recently about two meta-analyses of antipsychotics and antidepressants that concluded these drugs were “effective,” I have come to think of RCTs in a new light.
    The most important data in an RCT is not whether the drug provides a statistically significant benefit over placebo. The most important data is the “number needed to treat” calculation (NNT).

Keep reading: https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/06...-of-harm-done/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Randomized Controlled Trials of Psychiatric Drugs Tell of Harm Done

Very informative, especially about the "number needed to treat" (NNT). I wonder if all this really matters to a person who is suffering and will do just about anything to gain relief. So, when the physician tells the "suffering patient" that the NNT data shows that only 1 in 8 people shows improvement from taking an antidepressant, I'm not sure this would matter to the sufferer. The author states, "My guess is the vast majority of people would forgo taking the antidepressant..." Really?? My guess is just the opposite. Depressed patients looking for any sliver of relief would opt to take the drug, thinking they could be the 1 person out of 8 who would benefit.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 06-26-18 at 06:54 PM.

I tend to think as you do, Mr. Wiz. And the deeper the derpession, the more willingness to take a chance.

Veteran Member

"antipsychotics and antidepressants"

Sounds like disaster already happening will only get worse with chemicals as medicine. I think of it as people whose income depends on it, justifying their job regardless of contradictory evidence.

Don't blame the messenger, blame the profiteer.

Veteran Member

Islander, I posted this article here https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ad.php?t=18572 one week ago, and nobody commented! Sniff, sniff!

Patty, I don't know what happens, but sometimes posts get missed. It has happened to me more than once, and it's a puzzle! Then someone posts the same article and it gets comments!

BTW, my last two posts have received no comments!

That is indeed odd, Patty. I saw it, read some of it, meant to go back to it because I got stuck on NNT, so I opened the story in a tab. Time passed. A few days later I noticed the story was sitting there on a tab and couldn't remember why — thought I had saved it to post, so of course I posted it! BTW, several people here can attest to my "unreliable" memory! Though there may have been no comments, in the forum you can see how many people have read it. Mine had 48 views, yours had 44 views (as of today, 1 July).

Pattypan, I left a comment on your original post which should help explain it.

Thread Information