Thread: Probiotics Halve Bone Loss In the Elderly

Default Probiotics Halve Bone Loss In the Elderly

Bryan Hubbard
    June 27 2018

Probiotic supplements halve the rate of bone loss, which can lead to osteoporosis and fractures, two big health worries as we get older, and especially for women after the menopause.
    The supplements populate the gut with 'good' bacteria, and it's yet another example of the way the gut regulates our health. The discovery is a "paradigm shift" in the way we protect our bones, say the researchers.

Most women over the age of 80 suffer from osteoporosis, or brittleness of the bones, which means that the slightest fall can cause a fracture. Drugs on the market can treat osteoporosis to some extent, but they are often prescribed only after bone loss is detected.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2018/06/p...=1530176883765

Default Re: Probiotics Halve Bone Loss In the Elderly

Research continues to show multiple benefits of supplementing with probiotics. The tricky thing is usually only one specific type or strand corrects the ailment. Most probiotic supplements contain 12 or more types of probiotics. It takes research like this to identify which specific strand corrects the problem. As this research showed, only one specific strand proved effective against bone loss in the elderly.

Mr Wizard, that's a good point. I must check my probiotics and see if it has that particular strain. Though these days I rely on water kefir, and there is no way of measuring - it depends how much you drink. It does have a very large range of probiotics, and I have corresponded with people who have had better results with it than bought tablets.

Julieanne, kefir can be a really good source of probiotics, but much depends on the type of kefir grains used in the fermentaion process. I've always understood that dairy kefir contains more probiotic strains than water, but again much depends on the type of grains used for fermentation. I cheat and take the easy way out, using store bought probiotics. I use Mercola's Complete Probiotics, which contain 10 different strains. Disappointingly, they do not contain the specific strain mentioned in the article to fight bone loss.

I checked, and both the water kefir and my bought probiotics have L. reuteri, but not the same numbers after them. Water kefir has a lot of strains, and the bought ones 16. I posted a list of strains a long time ago -they might still be there.

Mercola products are far more expensive than others, and not always better. A couple of members spent time analyzing some of them and were not impressed.

Second that motion on the good doctor's quality issues. And BTW, I've been banned again, this time (apparently) for saying something just a mite critical. This is Banning #4 and it's temporary, but I haven't the interest to see whether it's expired since I only open it when the topic interests me, and so many are repeats.

Julie, do you have water kefir grains you could share? I have wanted to try this for the longest time.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Definitely, I have shared with several people, and they are fat, healthy grains. But I'm not sure they would survive two weeks in the mail from here. It would probably be better for you to have a look on eBay, which is where I originally bought mine. Or ask around locally? Not so far to travel.

I read an article yesterday on bone loss and probiotics. . The author said to eat yogurt, but yogurt contains no L.reuteri, so it's not going to help much with bone loss. I did find this though: how to make yogurt with L.reuteri. You can actually buy that particular strain.

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2018/...euteri-yogurt/

Just by following the protocol we recommend here, I have maintained my healthy bones with virtually no loss. And you all know how ancient I am. Not to dismiss probiotics; I take some when I think of it and usually have yogurt in the fridge.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information