Thread: The Vitamin That May Stop Brain Cell Death In Parkinsons Disease

Default The Vitamin That May Stop Brain Cell Death In Parkinsons Disease

• Michelle Schoffro Cook
    • July 4, 2018

A vitamin that stops brain cell death? It sounds too good to be true but scientists are telling us that the key to stopping the progression of brain diseases like Parkinson’s may be found in a readily-available and affordable vitamin.
    That’s the conclusion of a new study published in the medical journal Cell Reports. According to the study, researchers found that a form of vitamin B3 called nicotinamide riboside preserved brain cells, which are also known as neurons, by improving the function of their energy centers—called mitochondria. Having strong and healthy cellular energy centers is critical for great health, so it’s no surprise that anything that can help ensure the health of the mitochondria in brain cells can help prevent the progression of brain diseases.

Read more: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/th...s-disease.html

Default Re: The Vitamin That May Stop Brain Cell Death In Parkinsons Disease

' A typical dose is between 2 and 17 grams daily'. I think this should probably read mgs, not grams.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 1 Week Ago at 12:21 AM.

I wonder whether a B-vitamin supplement would cover the need for B3.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

My Vitamin Code Raw B-complex has niacin as niacinimide - I don't know how close this is to 'a form of vitamin B3 called nicotinamide riboside'. No B3 on the label. I find this all a bit confusing!

I have been taking 2 50 mg tablets of B3 niacin per day for over 5 years now, and the flushing effect is hardly noticeable anymore, not that I found it a problem in the first place, as the feedback lets me know, to some extent, that the niacin is working. Here is a link that helps sort things out about niacin, but it still does not address the "riboside". https://www.medbroadcast.com/channel...o-flush-niacin

Veteran Member

My B-complex vitamin drops contain 3 mg Vitamin B3 as niacinamide. I don't take them daily (would like to but don't for economy's sake, and because we have to depend on someone's being able to bring them from the US for us) , and when I do take them, I don't think I quite take the whole recommended dose, either. But, as they say in one South American country, "Something is something; worse is nothing." I hope that's true in this case.

Also, though the form of B3 they used was a different one, I imagine that doesn't necessarily mean that other forms might not also contribute similarly to brain health.

Grulla, do you mind telling us what you're treating with the daily vitamin B3? I've always thought that unless yo have a deficiency, focusing on one or two B vitamins knocks the others in the B-complex out of balance.

As for sources, just put "nicotinamide riboside sources" into your search engine box. Life Extension and Amazon are among the sources that come up, along with several scholarly articles.

Bottom line: A simple Niacin (vitamin B3) tablet won't help much in stopping brain cell death. This article is referring to a specially patented form of vit. B3, known as nicotinamide riboside, or NR. All living cells, especially brain cells, contain an important coenzyme called "nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or (NAD). NAD is really the enzyme that stops brain cell death. NR is the special vit. B3 that stimulates NAD. If one is concerned about the death of brain cells, NR sounds like a worthwhile investment. But, plain old niacin or niacinamide, which is the synthetic version of niacin, won't do much to stimlulate NAD. Further, some studies show that large amounts of vit. B3, as niacin and niacinamide, can promote insulin in-sensitivity. This is bad for diabetics or people whose blood sugar tend to run high. **Also, B vitamins are best taken to together, as a comlex. They all work together and benefit each other. To isolate a single vit. B over others can cause problems over time. People under sustained, high stress and/or athletes tend to have higher needs for B vitamins.

"Islander" I take two 50mg niacin tablets everyday as a minimal lifestyle dosage as described here:
    https://therenegadepharmacist.com/benefitsofniacin/ https://www.vitacost.com/kal-niacin

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    .....".......Here is a link that helps sort things out about niacin, but it still does not address the "riboside". https://www.medbroadcast.com/channel...o-flush-niacin
    grulla: make sure you read the section on "side effects" from taking high dose niacin in your link above. I'm concerned that people understand how niacin can increase blood sugar levels and cause insulin insensitivity, which can lead to diabetes.

Thankyou "Mr.Wizard" for your concern. I'm happy to say that my recent bloodwork test a few weeks ago was fairly normal in that, and all other concerns.

Mr. Wizard:
    **Also, B vitamins are best taken to together, as a complex. They all work together and benefit each other. To isolate a single vit. B over others can cause problems over time.
    I said something similar earlier and once again, I agree with Mr. Wizard. All vitamins have benefits. If one particular vitamin comes with a set of particularly appealing benefits, that is not to say that the rest should be discarded in favor of the one — except, perhaps, in the fairly common deficiency of B-12. The Bs come as a complex for a reason.

@grulla: You obviously know what you're doing since you've been taking 50 mg B3 tablets twice per day for "over 5 years." I just wanted to highlight for people who may not be familiar with niacin that there are serious side effects if you take it improperly. Kudos to you!!!

@Islander: Good catch! You don't miss much. You did make this very same comment earlier in the thread. It was soooo good I decided to steal it and say it again. What's that old adage: "If it's worth saying, it's worth repeatin." Lol.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 1 Week Ago at 03:25 PM.

Thread Information