Thread: Acupuncture Reduces Night Sweats In Menopausal Women Say Doctors

Default Acupuncture Reduces Night Sweats In Menopausal Women Say Doctors

Bryan Hubbard
    April 25 2016

Acupuncture can reduce hot flashes and night sweats in women going through the menopause, doctors have confirmed.

The therapy reduces the number of flashes and sweats by around 36 per cent, and the benefits continue for up to six months after treatment has stopped.
    Benefits start to kick-in after around eight sessions, say researchers from the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Centre. They tested the therapy on 209 women, aged between 45 and 60, who were going through the menopause, and who suffered an average of four hot flashes or sweats each night.
    Half the group had up to 20 acupuncture sessions in the first six months, and the rest had their sessions in the second six months of the year-long trial. The number and frequency of the sessions were down to each woman to decide.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2016/05/a...enews_09072018

Default Re: Acupuncture Reduces Night Sweats In Menopausal Women Say Doctors

I have never taken the time to research what causes symptoms of menopause in so many women. I have never experienced any of them and wonder whether they could be connected to diet or lifestyle influences.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Lucky you! I have two friends, both in their early 60's, who have been going through this for 20 years. From what they tell me, they have tried everything. So glad I got over this years ago - it really is awful. Both of these women live fairly healthy lifestyles, and one is especially diet-conscious. Seems like luck of the draw.

I was curious as to whether other primates also experienced menopause, so I looked it up. Apparently some species of primates also go through this phenomenon. Here is an example having to do with gorillas at a Chicago zoo. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...7_gorilla.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

@Julieanne: I agree with "luck of the draw."
    @Islander: I agree that diet plays "a part." In fact, I've encouraged women for years suffering from hot flashes & sweats to consume Omega-3 fatty acids. They are anti-inflammatory and help to smooth out hormonal flareups. Other nutritional substances that help with hormonal balance are: garlic & ginger eaten at the same time, vit. E complex, vit. B9 (folic acid) taken together with the B complex, vit. C complex, and calcium & magnesium. BTW, all of the above help men to smooth out their hormones as well. Hormonal imbalance happens in both women & men.

I wish I had known all that, way back when I was suffering with hot flushes in my 40's. A friend at the time told me her mother had a hysterectomy to get rid of menopause symptoms. That's pretty drastic!

Thread Information