Thread: US opposition to breastfeeding reportedly stuns world health officials

Default US opposition to breastfeeding reportedly stuns world health officials

David Reid
    July 9, 2018

• Ecuador attempted to introduce a resolution to promote breastfeeding at the UN-affiliated World Health Assembly.
    • The U.S. delegation stunned officials by threatening trade action and aid removal if Ecuador didn't change wording.
    • Russia stepped in to sponsor the resolution, forcing Washington to back off.

The U.S. government reportedly threatened Ecuador with trade sanctions if it didn’t water down a resolution drafted to promote breastfeeding around the world.
    The resolution had been expected to pass without issue at the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly in May, according to The New York Times. Then, without warning, the U.S. delegation requested that language asking governments to “protect, promote and support breastfeeding” was removed.

Read on at: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/us-o...officials.html
    Last edited by Islander; 07-10-18 at 10:55 AM. Reason: italicize journal title, 100-word limit

Default Re: US opposition to breastfeeding reportedly stuns world health officials

I saw this yesterday but backed away from publishing it because it had all the appearances of violating our "no politics" rule. On the other hand, it's such a shocking threat to health, family finances and basic common sense that I'm allowing it to stand. However, please keep any references to politics out of comments you may choose to make.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: US opposition to breastfeeding reportedly stuns world health officials

Well, this is a matter of both politics & money. In keeping with HH rules, I will not discuss the politics. Moneywise, the $70 billion baby food industry is experiencing shrinking sales, especially in the infant formula market, as more and more women globally choose breastfeeding over formula. I believe women should have "total" control over their bodies, including choosing to breast feed or not. Personally, I have several women in my own family who would have chosen breastfeeding over formula but their bodies simply could not support the production of enough milk to sustain a baby. I've written here about the growing numbers of "milk banks" popping up all over this country to provide milk to women who want human milk but can't produce it. Bottom line: I totally believe breastfeeding is preferable to formula, but I'm not sure any government or world body should be telling women how to feed their babies. **See, I stayed completely away from the politics....I think??

Why, you crafty old dingleberry! Yes, well and tactfully said! Ever think of joining the diplomatic corp?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information