Thread: Produce is less healthy than 70 years ago. These farmers are trying to change that

Default Produce is less healthy than 70 years ago. These farmers are trying to change that

Carrie Blackmore Smith and Emily Hopkins, Cincinnati Enquirer
    July 9, 2018

There it sits — in all its green glory — in the produce section of your local grocery store.??Broccoli.? One?of?the?most nutritious vegetables on the planet.??
    But 70 years ago, it contained twice the calcium, on average, and more than five times the amount of vitamin A. The same could be said for a lot of our fruits and vegetables.??
    Why? How??
    The answers lie in the soil and how Americans farm it.

Keep reading: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ed28-264716005

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Produce is less healthy than 70 years ago. These farmers are trying to change tha

This should have been front page news in every paper.

Default Re: Produce is less healthy than 70 years ago. These farmers are trying to change tha

Great article. But it's not really 'news' is it? I have been reading about the decline in nutrients for years, though not in the newspapers. Organic organisations have been saying this for a long time.

I'm fairly sure most wheat farmers in Australia grow lupins or clovers in between crops - lupins as a cover crop were developed in my state of WA. But the poor soil and lack of summer rain means it's not practical to grow alternative annual crops like vegetables. Wheat and sheep is a common combination, or rotation.

But getting them away from synthetic fertilizers will be a tough job. The article didn't stress this aspect - one thing at a time I guess.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-14-18 at 06:48 AM.

You're right, Julie, but it's helpful to repeat some things occasionally. We have a constant flow of new members and guests; at any hour of the day or night I can see between 120 and 250 viewers on the site, mostly guests, for whom much of this may indeed be news. Also, I'm gradually moving through the forums, deleting old, updated or expired items to open up space, of which we have a shortage.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-15-18 at 10:11 AM.

Of course you need to repeat things sometimes - I have posted info that I know has been covered before. I was responding with frustration because little seems to be changing, despite what we know.

Agreed. Change comes at glacial speed. But organizations like OSGATA and the Non-GMO-Verified Project are helping farmers to move in that direction. And I can't speak for other locations, here or in the world, but Maine is seeing — alongside the farmers aging out and retiring — an influx of young families eager to revive the tradition of the [organic] family farm. Quite a large population of Amish and Mennonite farmers have also relocated to Maine, about 5-6 families just in my little town of 1800 souls.

Thread Information