Thread: Avozilla: This gem weighs more than a kilo and as big as your head

Default Avozilla: This gem weighs more than a kilo and as big as your head

Andile Secetsha
    July 13, 2018

Australian grocery stores are the latest to welcome “the Avozilla”. The avocado tastes and looks like a normal avo, except it’s as big as a head!

How much will the Avozilla sell for?
    With an average weight of 1.2kg and a size four times bigger than a standard avocado, “the Avozilla” will be priced at $12 (R159.75).
    Who grows the Avozilla in Australia?
    Since 1957, the Groves family has been farming exotic and tropical fruits in Queensland and are now the first to bring the oversized avocado to Australia. The variety is originally from South Africa.

Read more at: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/avoz...-as-your-head/

Last edited by Islander; 07-15-18 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Inaccurate headline

Default Re: Avozilla: This gem weighs more than a kilo and as big as your head

Some of these British Commonwealth news links can be very difficult to copy in order to comply with HH standards. This other link states, "And while the Avozillas do look genetically modified, its origins are much more lo-fi: The fruit is instead a cross-breed of the Guatemalan avocado and the larger, West Indian avocado." Here is that Avozilla info: https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...s-13070984.php
    Last edited by Islander; 07-15-18 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Inaccurate headline

I've read about this on an Oz fruit forum. I know some gardeners are keen on growing the biggest of some fruits and vegetables, but in this case I can't see the point. Unless you have a lot of people to feed, it's better to buy several smaller ones, as avos start to oxidise once cut open. Useful for restaurants I guess.

I had to buy two large avos yesterday, only because there weren't any smaller ones this week. A fairly large avocado was developed in my state some years ago, but it had little flavour and a watery texture. I wonder about the taste - at $12 each I'm unlikely to find out!
    Last edited by Islander; 07-15-18 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Inaccurate headline

Grulla:
    Some of these British Commonwealth news links can be very difficult to copy in order to comply with HH standards.
    Can you be more specific? I've seen some articles that were like Chinese algebra, but I didn't see anything particularly difficult about this one. European sources usually reverse the dates, though: 7.15.2018 (today) would appear as 15.7.2018 — which most of us can sort out.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"Islander', all as I can suggest is to access those two links and try to copy them as if you were setting up an article post for HH, and you will see how squirrely they behave, one worse than the other. And I've experienced that before with some other difficult British news articles.

I did exactly that before posting, to see what your complaint was. Seemed normal to me. That's why I asked you to be more specific.

Would it help if I told you how I do it? Wherever possible, I copy the entire article, from headline through the end of the first paragraph or two, depending on length, and paste that to the new box. Then, using keyboard functions, I delete the headline (command + x) and paste it to the headline box. I move the author and date to the upper left corner, removing any irrelevant material (time of day, "by," title of source etc.) Sometimes copying will include useless data like article comments, Facebook and other social media references and those I quickly delete. I retain as many of the opening ¶s as will fit the 100-word limit. I drop down and type my tag ("Read more" etc.) followed by the link, then click Preview to see what the new post looks like. Any corrections can be made directly to the post, and then it's ready to publish.

The most awkward ones I handle are those from GreenMedInfo because their format is nothing like ours. Involves moving a lot of text around. Bother. But Julie does most of those, so I get out of it!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information