Thread: America’s Enduring Failure to Prevent Food-Borne Illness

Default America’s Enduring Failure to Prevent Food-Borne Illness

EMILY ATKIN
    July 9, 2018

An E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce killed five people this spring. What's the government doing to prevent the next one?

E. coli bacteria entered the public imagination in 1993, when Jack in the Box, a West Coast fast food chain, was the source of the most infamous food poisoning outbreak in modern American history. Beef patties contaminated with Escherichia coli O157—one of the deadliest types of E. coli pathogens—were found to have been sold at 73 of the restaurants across the country. More than 700 people were infected, 179 were left with permanent brain and kidney damage, and four children died. The last one to die was Darin Detwiler’s17-month-old son, Riley.

Keep reading: https://newrepublic.com/article/1496...-borne-illness

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: America’s Enduring Failure to Prevent Food-Borne Illness

Once again, I'm sharing Jim Gerritsen's* comments on this article:

"SO WHAT ROLE DOES INDUSTRIAL AG HAVE IN AMERICA'S FOOD SAFETY PROBLEMS? Answer: colossal culpability.
    The fact is, from both a public health AND national security standpoint, the United States would be MUCH MUCH better off if it were fed by local family farmers. By definition, small-scale production has small-scale impact should there be a problem.
    One might say Industrial Ag is the beneficiary of the consolidation-landslide created by our Federal Cheap Food Po
    licy. HOWEVER, it would be much closer to the truth to say Industrial Ag AUTHORED the Cheap Food Policy.
    The disastrous reality is that concentration of food production increases by gargantuan magnitudes risks to our nation's food supply.
    Author Michael Pollan has written that one facility in California processes a jaw-dropping 100 MILLION SERVINGS of leafy greens per week. So it follows, when Industrial Ag has a food safety problem, its risky scale of massive concentration GUARANTEES IT WILL BECOME AN ENORMOUS PROBLEM."

*Maine organic farmer and president of OSGATA

Veteran Member

This reference was deleted because of its political content — not merely bias, but racially charged and deliberately malicious propaganda.

-Admin.

Last edited by Ora Moose; 07-16-18 at 07:48 PM.

Ora, I really don't like this article. The writer could have made her point without such blatantly racist opinions. Sure, there is some truth there, but it could have been written more sensitively.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Ora, I really don't like this article. The writer could have made her point without such blatantly racist opinions. Sure, there is some truth there, but it could have been written more sensitively.
    Julieanne, I apologize for posting that, I did not research the publication orientation and did not realize it could/would be offensive to some. I did think it had some educational merit, but in retrospect, maybe not.

After some research, I found this... and will never post or link to any of their articles again.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-thinker/

Ora, thanks for finding and posting that factcheck site. That's a valuable resource!

Veteran Member

Islander I agree it's a nice resource, just wish I'd found it before my "offensive post." I would suggest we all use it to double check before posting any possibly inflammatory links. We all have different levels of sensitivity or insensitivity, so always keep that in mind before you pounce. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-17-18 at 10:57 AM.

So maybe my comment should be deleted, as it makes no sense without the original article. And thanks Ora for the factcheck site, I will save that one.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    So maybe my comment should be deleted, as it makes no sense without the original article. And thanks Ora for the factcheck site, I will save that one.
    If your post is deleted, then this one will make no sense either but... I'd like to remind everyone that I have a personal connection to the immigration/job issue, as I came to the USA at 13 without knowing how to speak english and having given up all our worldly possessions in return for a blank slate in an unknown world. It's not easy but it is done all the time, those people deserve our utmost respect they were not necessarily born into easy riches and do it mostly not for themselves but for their children's children.

Where you came from doesn't matter, it's where you're going and what you leave behind, or not.

And to keep on topic: where I came from, stale bread dipped in olive oil was considered a life saving meal and a delicacy. That's what beggars asked for and we were glad to oblige and beyond. Rock soup, look it up

http://nimuae-rocksoup.blogspot.com/2010/02/story-of-rock-soup.html

Another aside, Tour de France where the engines are for real flesh and bone, not fabricated in some factory by robots. Watch it and weep, sport at it's finest and purest like real life. My personal favorite sporting event never mind the majestic scenery. Sometimes you crash, then get up and keep going anyways because you can if you can
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 07-17-18 at 10:14 AM.

Thread Information