Thread: Model praised for breastfeeding while walking the runway at Sports Illustrated fashio

Default Model praised for breastfeeding while walking the runway at Sports Illustrated fashio

KELLY MCCARTHY
    Jul 17, 2018,

A model made quite a splash at the Sports Illustrated Swim Search runway show in Miami for breastfeeding on the catwalk. Mara Martin strutted down the runway Sunday in a one-shouldered metallic gold bikini with 5-month-old daughter Aria, who was breastfeeding along the way.

The baby wore blue headphones to protect her ears from the loud music and wild cheers from the audience members, who responded enthusiastically to Martin’s bold look. "I can't believe I am waking up to headlines with me and my daughter in them for doing something I do every day,” Martin wrote Monday in a post on Instagram. “I'm so grateful to be able to share this message and hopefully normalize breastfeeding and also show others that women CAN DO IT ALL!"

Continue at: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/mod...ry?id=56635938

Veteran Member

Default Re: Model praised for breastfeeding while walking the runway at Sports Illustrated fa

In Europe, it's not uncommon to see moms breastfeeding in public on the bus, train, or just about anywhere and nobody flinches, it's just a fact of life like burping or poop

Veteran Member

Default Re: Model praised for breastfeeding while walking the runway at Sports Illustrated fa

On the other hand the baby could wait a few minutes so this was probably some kind of publicity or political statement in that big a stage

I see no other way to interpret this than as a political statement aimed at Equador's U.N. resolution to endorse breastfeeding over baby formula — and by the U.S.'s applying pressure/threatening to withdraw military aid from Equador in protest. This thread edges into the political and I'll give some thought to deleting it. I am open to disagreement... what's your argument?
    Last edited by Islander; 07-17-18 at 10:01 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I tend to agree with Ora, but in my opinion I don't think we are straying too far into the political. Sometimes it is hard to avoid.

So true, Julie. The U.S.'s response was a blatant attempt at protecting the manufacturers of infant formula. When Equador backed down and withdrew the resolution, wasn't it telling that Russia stepped up and made essentially the same resolution, and the U.S. voted in the affirmative this time?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

When my daughter was planning to breastfeed several years ago, I researched this topic to learn more about it. I discovered that breastfeeding publicly in the U.S appeared to be of less concern than being able to pump and store milk at work. Private sector companies appeared worse at accommodating women than state and federal agencies. In fact, federal law--The Affordable Healthcare Act (ACA)--was suppose to fix this problem. However, the federal law was limited to companies with more than 50 employees, and the Department of Labor couldn't figure out how to enforce it. Most states don't have laws requiring employees to allow women time and a "lactation room" to pump milk, and the few states that do have laws allow an "exemption" if the company can demonstrate undue hardship. So, most women wishing to pump and store milk at work must do so in a bathroom. As one woman put it: "My milk is my baby's meal. Would you want your meal prepared in a bathroom?" Again, I don't think most women give a hoot about breastfeeding publicly. They would just like a private space at work to pump and a designated refrigerator to store the milk until they can get home.

Thread Information