Thread: New developments in the peripatetic life of Islander

Default New developments in the peripatetic life of Islander

Forgive me if I am occasionally absent from discussions over the next couple of days. Complications have occurred, to wit: yesterday, on my way home from a 4-hour RT (and probably only 20 minutes from home), I fell asleep at the wheel and totaled my Prius. In a scene that could only have been plotted by Hollywood, I veered off into a tree-and-brush-filled river bank and awoke from a sound sleep with a tree looming in the windshield at 50 mph. I thought I was looking at eternity, but the soil was so soft that the Prius literally ran over the tree and dragged it behind us. We kept plowing through shrubs and saplings, crushing the opposition along the way, dropping car parts in our wake, until the momentum ran out and the vehicle came to a stop not far from the actual river.

It was a soft landing. The airbag never deployed. I was mightily shaken but unhurt. Sadly, I had traveled so far into the puckerbrush that my plight wasn't visible to what little passing traffic used the Horseback Road. I had dialed 911 and the state police were looking for me but passed the spot several times before a random red pickup stopped, saw me, clambered down and helped me across the 2-foot pile of brush the Prius had subdued. AAA, totally confused, sent a tow truck from an hour away, but the Statie said, Forget it, I'll have one here for you in a few minutes. That one arrived as the original service already had a chain on her and had winched her pretty close to the road. They worked as a team to get her on board the first truck, and we all entrained to Newport, close to my home.

Lots of phone calls and paperwork later, I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to arrive at the value of my trashed car, the priciest part of which was probably the new radio I bought last year. The search begins for a replacement daily car, since at 15 mpg, my old Ford pickup is intended only for farm use and will never match the Toyota's 45-55 mpg. This time I am in the market for a used Subaru, or possibly a Honda, as long as it has AWG which the Prius did not have — meaning that with all its features, it wasn't the best choice for a Maine winter. Suggestions welcome!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: New developments in the peripatetic life of Islander

The important thing is that you are safe and sound. Cars can always be replaced. The AWD (all wheel drive) Subaru sounds like a wise choice for those Maine winters. A couple of years before I retired in 2010 from my RR traveling tech job, I found my self starting to nod out behind the wheel in the early to mid afternoon, and quickly learned that pulling off of the road for a short snooze, as little as 5 minutes, recharged my "batteries" and allowed me to continue on safe and refreshed for the rest of the day's trip. That snooze has translated into an important afternoon nap for me to this day.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    The important thing is that you are safe and sound. Cars can always be replaced.
    Absolutely agree, and we would probably never have known what happened to Hawkes Health. My son went off the road and hit a tree a few months ago because he hadn't slept all night with one of his "drinking friends" visiting, then was hurrying late for work. You know what they say, better late than never. Car has been replaced, he never could be, our one and only... now we can only hope for grandchildren if that's ever gonna happen

Wow!! Sooooo happy you're OK. Sounds like the Prius served you well. You need to take a few days off to gather yourself. Again, so happy you're safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Wow!! Sooooo happy you're OK. Sounds like the Prius served you well. You need to take a few days off to gather yourself. Again, so happy you're safe.
    Toyota and other oriental car makers are not the rust buckets I remember from the 60s and 70s, these days they are a lot safer. My son crashed our old Mercury Sable, and if saw what the car looks like now, you would find it hard to believe that he didn't get hurt and not even a scratch on him, though the airbag did deploy. that's the main reason we bought another 14 year old car that was owned by a little old lady in her 90s, only has 41,000 miles on it, and is mint condition inside and out. This new one is the station wagon model, and my wife at first resisted because she didn't like the looks, but after she drove it, we bought it.

So glad you are safe and unhurt. Can't make any car recommendations as our hot climate has totally different needs! Rest up and recover, you have had a shock. Is there someone to do grocery shopping etc for you?

I'm just so glad and thankful that you emerged OK. (That car always freaked me out anyway; it was so quiet.)

Veteran Member

Wow, Islander. I'm so happy (and astonished!) you were unhurt. I'm a car ignoramus, though, so nothing to say along those lines. Well, except to ask why you're not considering another of the same, since it did such a good job and has such good gas mileage?

Thanks, everyone.
    Julieanne first: If I needed groceries there are people who could shop for me, but I grow/raise so much of my meat, veggies and fruit that I rarely go marketing for anything but cheese, yogurt and pet supplies. I'll have to make a run into town for livestock feed tomorrow, but the pickup (do you call it a "ute"?) does that just fine. No worries!

Pattypans next: If I wanted another Prius, I have a connection to a mechanic who makes used ones like new and sells them. The car gave me 14 years of great service with only one small mechanical issue in all that time. The problem: no AWD or 4WD. In a state (Maine) that has ten months of winter and eight weeks of hard sledding, a car that grips the road is really a necessity for safety's sake. I put snow tires on the Prius in winter but that's not a big help. My three requirements, in no special order: fuel economy... cargo space... AWD. And the Japanese cars (Toyota, Honda, Subaru) seem to have the best record for trouble-free driving.

"Islander", "The problem: no AWD or 4WD." I can not stress enough to avoid modern day electric/electronic 4WD. If it doesn't have manually operated front wheel hubs and a manual 4WD floor lever, avoid it. Since 1984, my first 2 company trucks were manual 4WD and completely reliable. Then in 1992, I got my first of 4 4WD Chevy and Ford trucks with automatic 4WD, and each and everyone of them gave me trouble where the electronic 4WD would not work. And I always found that out the hard way getting stuck in mountain top snow and having to shovel my way out backwards from the communications radio site approach roads...aaargh!

More recently, I have inherited my late MIL's 1996 4WD Ford Explorer SUV, and like the four RR 4WD Chevy & Ford electronic 4WD trucks, it has been nothing but a complicated and unreliable money pit from the 4WD PoV.

This is just one of a few reasons why I hold on to, and treasure both my 1987 4WDs, Ford Ranger P.U. and the 1987 Ford Bronco II. You have to get out of both vehicles to engage the front axle hubs and shift the floor lever to 4WD Hi or Low. It may not be that convenient, but it is sure reliable. No computer electronics connected to the 4WD.

I would tend to suggest the lesser of all the above mentioned 4WD 'evils', and recommend an AWD vehicle where all you do is lock or unlock a center differential between the front and rear axles, either electrically or maybe manual floor lever???, and without low range 4WD, which you probably don't need anyway.

To this day, the only car/truck manufacturer making manual 4WD available any more are the larger Ford PU trucks, and even they might be a mix of manual front axle hubs with an electric transfer case shifter switch on the dashboard. However, they can be ordered COMPLETELY MANUAL 4wd from the factory. Dodge trucks may be SOMEWHAT similar.
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:19 AM.

No thank you, Grulla! Sorry to disagree, but I owned a Chevy (I think) pickup back in the 70s with the manual locking hubs. Picture it, my friends: It is likely either pouring rain or snowing hard. You need 4WD because you are stuck — in mud or snow. This means that obviously, at least one of your four wheels, or maybe more, is lodged in a packed, wet, slippery mess. And you, regardless of your attire and footwear, must clamber out into that nasty mess and adjust the hubs by hand, assuming they are not actually already buried in the abovementioned mess. I would not wish this misfortune on my worst enemy.

The stable of secondhand Subarus that I drove over the years all had a lever on the gear box to shift into 4WD and believe me, when you dropped it down, you could feel the car grip the winter road. I've had the difference between 4WD and AWD explained to me and I sorta grasp it, but it's also relatively immaterial to me as long as the car has traction in rain and snow. The vehicle I end up with will depend entirely on what's available locally in my price range, as long as it meets the 3 requirements I listed above.

I had to chuckle at "...ordered COMPLETELY MANUAL 4wd from the factory..." Every one of the cars in my life (with one exception) has been purchased used, with cash saved for the purpose. I have typically been the last owner of these cars. I don't believe in making car payments, nor can I afford that monthly expense. Cash transactions, that's how I roll!

Thank you, Grulla. This is a new language for me. I don't know "torque" and "differential." Please don't explain them to me.

BTW, C. diff means something very specific to me... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

Every one of the cars in my life (with one exception) has been purchased used, with cash saved for the purpose.
    Me too Islander! I have never had a lemon, and my current car, a Hyundai Getz, is a 2007 model I bought in 2011. The only problem I've had in seven years was the air conditioner (essential in this climate) which died last summer. I expect it to be my last car. I hope you find what you are looking for soon!

Thread Information