Thread: Why Vitamin D May Reduce Risk for Breast Cancer

Default Why Vitamin D May Reduce Risk for Breast Cancer

Cross-posted in the Cancer forum.

Carolyn Abate

July 6, 2018

In a new study, researchers get down to the molecular level to determine why vitamin D appears to decrease a woman’s chance of developing breast cancer.

A new study on the association between vitamin D and the reduced risk of breast cancer suggests that higher concentrations of the micronutrients may be a factor.
    Research on the role of vitamin D and its influence on breast cancer isn’t new. Data has shown that women with low levels of the vitamin are at higher risk for developing the cancer.
    But there isn’t enough evidence yet to directly link high levels of vitamin D to a decreased risk for breast cancer.
    This new study, conducted by researchers at the University of California San Diego in collaboration with Creighton University, Medical University of South Carolina, and Grassroots Health, may shed some new light on relationship between the two.

Keep reading: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/150327#1

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Why Vitamin D May Reduce Risk for Breast Cancer

Vitamin D really acts more like a hormone than a vit. It influences several thousands functions in the body. But, as with most nutrients, when you overdose on one you create a deficiecy in another. Such is the case with D. The more you increase your intake of D, you need to increase vit. A intake. They work together and too much D creates a deficiency in A. Sun exposure for 10 minutes or so without sunscreen is the best soruce.

Thanks, Mr. Wizard, that's good to know. You often post these helpful additions; your mention of the role of biotin has resulted in my strengthening fingernails that were constantly splitting and breaking. In summer, I fill my vitamin D tanks through direct sun exposure, but in winter I supplement with D3 and its cofactors to maintain my level. Now I'll pay attention to my vitamin A consumption as well, though I suspect with carrots, sweet potatoes and other dietary sources, I probably have a sufficiency.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Just one more small tidbit: The pro-vitamin A found in carrots, sweet potatoes, and other plant sources still must be converted in the body into actual vitamin A, one more function in which we become less efficient as we grow older.

Maurya, that would make an excellent comment to post under the ANH article below, if you felt so inclined. A few of the posters are opposed to taking supplements.

www.anh-usa.org/government-ai...a-f136541374fd . http://

Thread Information