Thread: Crispr Can Speed Up Nature—and Change How We Grow Food

Veteran Member

Default Crispr Can Speed Up Nature—and Change How We Grow Food

Stephen S. Hall

It took thousands of years for humans to breed a pea-sized fruit into a beautiful beefsteak tomato. Now, with gene editing, scientists can change everything.

"What makes this greenhouse different—what makes it arguably an epicenter of a revolution in plant biology that may forever change not just the future of the tomato but the future of many crops—is that 90 percent of the tomato plants in the building had been genetically altered using the wizardly new gene-editing tool known as Crispr/Cas-9. *Lippman and Joyce Van Eck, his longtime collaborator at the Boyce Thompson Institute in Ithaca, New York, are part of a small army of researchers using gene editing to turn the tomato into the laboratory mouse of plant science. In this greenhouse, Crispr is a verb, every plant is an experiment, and mutant isn’t a dirty word."

Read more: https://www.wired.com/story/crispr-tomato-mutant-future-of-food/
    Last edited by Islander; 07-26-18 at 11:57 AM.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Crispr Can Speed Up Nature—and Change How We Grow Food

BTW, a couple or two decades ago one of my customers was a small company in Mystic CT, right down the road from Mystic Aquarium, that eventually became part of Monsanto and used my company's equipment in their gene modification research. Broad Institute was also a customer at the time. Looking back I have mixed feelings about having helped fuel that sort of enterprise, but back then I had no clue of the nightmare that GMO proliferation could become and we had bills to pay. Even now, I don't think there is a clear cut win/lose decision to be made re: gene modification, except to stay informed and let everyone make their own choice about what they eat and feed their families and kids. Time will tell...
    Last edited by Islander; 07-26-18 at 11:57 AM.

Right at the bottom of the Wired article: "The bottom line: Gene-edited tomatoes are probably on their way to the market. But tomatoes with better flavor? Probably not going to happen anytime soon."
    So (as usual) it's not about what the customer wants.

Then there is this: https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...ghlight=crispr
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-26-18 at 08:10 PM.

Right, Julie. It's like these researchers and developers are all tone-deaf. Make something so spectacularly good that it sells itself? Oh no, we want to create something bizarre and original and then convince the public that they can't live without it. Like the Arctic Apple that never browns when exposed to air. <shug>
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information