Thread: Meet the Anarchists Making Their Own Medicine

Default Meet the Anarchists Making Their Own Medicine

Daniel Oberhaus
    Jul 26 2018

The Four Thieves Vinegar Collective is a network of tech-fueled anarchists taking on Big Pharma with DIY medicines.

The first time I encountered Michael Laufer, he was throwing thousands of dollars worth of homemade medicine into a packed audience at Hackers on Planet Earth (HOPE), a biennial conference in New York City.
    “Does anyone here suffer from anaphylactic shock and not have access to epinephrine?” Laufer asked the audience. A few hands went up and Laufer stuffed a homemade EpiPen into one of them. “That’s one of the original ones we made,” he said. “Use it well.
    After a few minutes of gloating about pharma bro Martin Shkreli “rotting at Fort Dix” for raising the price of Daraprim, a lifesaving HIV medicine, from $13 to $750, Laufer grew serious. “It’s been two years, but despite everything that’s happened, the price of Daraprim hasn’t changed,” he said. He reached into his pocket and produced a handful of white pills. “I guess I better hand out some more,” Laufer said as he tossed the Daraprim into the audience.

Keep reading: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...tm_source=mbfb

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Meet the Anarchists Making Their Own Medicine

DIY medicine sounds like an interesting concept, fraught with dangers. Orphan diseases (less than 200,000 people with the disease worldwide) don't generate enough business for BigPharma to market a drug. This is where I see a role for government, but not DIY medicine. We already have a form of DIY medicine in "compounding pharmacies." These pharmacies will customize a prescription for you, usually at lower costs, without the risks of DIY. Compounding pharmacies (CP) exist to serve people with specialized needs, like gluten-free and/or lactose-free medicines, or someone allergic to a particular ingredient, or who needs a weaker strength med than is currently on the market. CPs will customize drugs for you, and they are everywhere. Walgreens touts itself as a CP, as do other major pharmacies. Below, the first link answers all your questions about CPs, and the second link will find a CP near you. All you need do is enter your city and state.

http://www.pccarx.com/what-is-compou...unding-answers
    http://www.pccarx.com/contact-us/find-a-compounder

I'm not sure I would trust an amateur chemist to formulate a genuine copy of a pharmaceutical, but I certainly like the concept of lower prices for a med for which there is no alternative. I know nothing about CPs except that they exist; thanks for assuring us that they are not uncommon, in case I ever need their services!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Decades ago, most pharmacies--if not all--considered themselves "compounding," in that they pretty much sold customized drugs. I remember in the 50s & 60s (Opps, I'm dating myself) going into the corner pharmacy and asking the pharmacists to whip up some cough medication for my grandpa, who had an unrelenting cough---no prescription, no call from a doc.....just a little ol kid who wanted medicine for his grandpa. Fast forward to 3 yrs. ago, after I told a pharmacist I was not paying $586 for a 100 gm tube of prescribed ointment, he worked a miracle. He reduced the cost to $76 by reducing the 100 gm tube to 60 gm and cutting the strength from 0.1% to 0.03%. I asked him if he could legally change the dermatologist's prescription, and he replied of course he could. It happens all the time. Pharmacists will work with you to meet your specialized medical needs, whatever they are. We only need ask.

Jeepers Mr wizard, $586 for a prescription! And then $76, which is not cheap. I never stop feeling aghast at medical costs in the US, it's still hard to believe.

Thread Information