Thread: Antibiotic Resistance Through The Air? Yes, It's A Real Thing

Default Antibiotic Resistance Through The Air? Yes, It's A Real Thing

Steve Williams
    July 31 2018

New research reveals that antibiotic resistant genes may be able to travel through the air. What does this mean for public health? By now, most of us are well aware that our antibiotics have been so overused in medicine and in the farming industry that we are facing a future without effective antibiotics. That has precipitated the rise of so-called “superbugs“: once easily treatable infections that now pose a serious risk to human health.
    What is less well understood is the mechanisms that allow bacteria to actually acquire their resistance.

Read more: https://www.care2.com/causes/antibio...eal-thing.html
    Last edited by Julieanne; 08-01-18 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Antibiotic Resistance Through The Air? Yes, It's A Real Thing

I feel as though I can't add one more layer to the Dagwood sandwich of fears and anxieties I'm carrying around just now. Beyond the stressors in my personal life, there is the impact of the current political atmosphere in the USA and the increasing effects of climate change, which has killed my two peach trees and seems to have impacted my pear tree as well. I've maxed out on vitamins C and D with plenty of noontime UVB rays. If a nasty bacterium dares to assault me, I will invoke my steel-belted immune system to stare it down.

BTW, Care2 is in need of a competent editor/proofreader: there instead of their, bacteria instead of bacterium. We notice these things!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Lots of evidence that good ol "fresh, raw garlic" is the way to overcome those superbugs. I try to eat at least 2 small cloves a day with my meals, slicing and dicing them and letting them set for about 20 minutes before eating. This allows the main ingredient in the garlic (allicin) to come alive and work its magic. Of course, much larger amounts are needed to fight off superbugs. But, it has already shown effective against MRSA. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458355/)
    Before the doc said, "take a couple of aspirin and call me in the morning," she said "eat some garlic and be healthy in the morning." Garlic has been around forever, fighting and winning against everything from bites, cuts, and bruises to poisons, serious infections, and now, superbugs.

Mr Wizard, thanks for the reminder. I do use a fair amount of garlic in cooking, but I don't make a real effort to include it every day as you do. Local garlic is out of season right now, as here in Oz it all shoots around April, and bought garlic comes from China. I do have the last of my frozen garlic to eke out till November, when mine matures and a new (expensive) crop is available to buy. It gradually drops in price over summer.

BTW, if you sign up for the Wildcraft herbal medicine videos you also can download a book on garlic. Sounds like you already know plenty!

Islander, that was my reaction - one more thing to worry about. But I probably won't, as I'll just forget! We are all overloaded with information and I can't retain it all.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 08-02-18 at 01:17 AM.

Thread Information