Thread: Science Confirms Turmeric As Effective As 14 Drugs

Default Science Confirms Turmeric As Effective As 14 Drugs

Sayer Ji
    May 13 2013

Turmeric is one the most thoroughly researched plants in existence today. Its medicinal properties and components (primarily curcumin) have been the subject of over 5600 peer-reviewed and published biomedical studies. In fact, our five-year long research project on this sacred plant has revealed over 600 potential preventive and therapeutic applications, as well as 175 distinct beneficial physiological effects. This entire database of 1,585 ncbi-hyperlinked turmeric abstracts can be downloaded as a PDF at our Downloadable Turmeric Document page, and acquired either as a retail item or with 200 GMI-tokens, for those of you who are already are members and receive them automatically each month.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/science-confirms-turmeric-effective-14-drugs

Another article that came with this one: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/cou...tmare-bacteria
    Last edited by Julieanne; 08-03-18 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: Science Confirms Turmeric As Effective As 14 Drugs

The closest source of organic turmeric root is an 80-mile round-trip for me. I can't imagine grating it daily and incorporating it in everything I cook... which would eventually all end up tasting the same, it seems to me. Occasionally I cook a heaping tsp. of powdered turmeric in butter for 5 minutes before adding in freshly ground pepper and beaten eggs for scrambling. Other than that, I take Life Extension's curcumin capsules daily. I often wonder whether people in countries like India, where it is so commonly used in everyday cooking, are actually healthier than comparable populations who do not use it regularly. I would love to see some comparative statistics!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I agree Islander. I don't want everything I eat to taste of turmeric. One way of consuming a fair amount is to drink 'golden milk', but I haven't tried it as it has no appeal for me. Maybe I should overcome that and give it a go! Like you, I take cucurmin capsules in the hope that they are beneficial.

I've had no success in growing it, even though I live in a warm climate. The tubers(?) are available in autumn, and I found it hard to keep them alive till planting in spring. They just shriveled up.

As a sample of one, I am pretty healthy, while eating fresh (or frozen, this time of year) turmeric root in just about every cooked dish I make. Once I run out, I shall have to wait until the drought is over, and the farmers once again can provide us poor humans with our food to eat.

Maurya, can you use turmeric powder instead?

And where do you find frozen turmeric root?

Yes, turmeric powder is available; I just like to use the fresh root. What I meant about the frozen was just that whenever the farmers are about ready to run out of the fresh root for the season, I just buy a whole bunch of it and toss them into my freezer. They have to be used fairly quickly when they come out of the freezer, but it does extend the season a bit for me. Right now, we are down to the bitter end of everything. The annual drought is in full swing, and food imported from the mainland is quite expensive, and not the sort of things that we are used to eating which grow locally. In the autumn, things should be planted and harvested and eaten again.

I do the same with ginger root: buy it and freeze it. I can easily chop chunks off the frozen root when needed, so it keeps indefinitely. I do use quite a lot of both ginger and garlic. I make garlic pesto from the scapes, freeze it in ice cube trays and then drop the cubes in a freezer bag.

Same here - ginger doesn't always keep well and can be expensive at times. I chop mine in a mini processor and freeze in ice cube - saves me time when getting dinner ready. One cube is about right for ginger tea or a stir fry.

I cook with organic turmeric root powder. It can be overwhelming in some dishes if I use a generous amount (more than 1 tea-spoon). The thing I dislike about turmeric is it stains my stainless steel pots, and countertops too if I don't quickly wipe it up. Since curcumin is the main medicinal ingredient in turmeric, I also supplement with straight curcumin.

Thread Information