Thread: $5 M Lawsuit Claims Rachael Ray's Dog Food Contains Potentially Harmful Ingredient

Default $5 M Lawsuit Claims Rachael Ray's Dog Food Contains Potentially Harmful Ingredient

Renae Reints
    August 7, 2018

A man from New York is suing Rachael Ray’s “natural” dog food brand, Nutrish, for allegedly containing the “potentially harmful” herbicide glyphosate. In the $5 million class action lawsuit, Bronx resident Markeith Parks argues that it is deceiving for Nutrish to market its food as natural.
    “These claims are false, deceptive, and misleading,” reads the suit, according to The Wrap. “The Products at issue are not ‘Natural.’ Instead, the Products contain the unnatural chemical glyphosate, a potent biocide and endocrine disruptor, with detrimental health effects that are still becoming known.”

Read more: http://fortune.com/2018/08/07/rachae...-food-lawsuit/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: $5 M Lawsuit Claims Rachael Ray's Dog Food Contains Potentially Harmful Ingredien

Now here's a topic I feel like I'm a semi-expert, having had dozens of dogs (not all at the same time) and also owning/running a dog food store the last five years (now shuttered, didn't make any profits other than "free" dog food - meaning I took home the stuff that was about to be or already was out of date.) Don't pay too much attention to those dates btw, they are mostly about liability protection for the manufacturers. If it's still sealed, it's good for much longer. Let your nose be your guide, or your dogs nose, if they sniff it and walk away toss it unless you have a very finicky eater. They will try to control you by refusing to eat even if they're hungry, to control you and get what they would rather have. Don't let them be the boss, just take it away right away and offer it to them again later. They'll get the idea soon enough and stop playing that game.

Now back to "natural dog food" the term natural is as the article says very misleading. A much better quality indicator is "organic" which means, no chemicals or nasty byproducts.

If you own a dog, I would suggest you read https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ and subscribe if you can afford it.

One last point: Don't ever assume that just because a celebrity you like endorses a product, it must be good. This goes for Rachael Ray, Newman's Own or any other brand. Bottom line is, the best food your dog can eat is either raw or what you cook for them.

Default Re: $5 M Lawsuit Claims Rachael Ray's Dog Food Contains Potentially Harmful Ingredien

Absolutely. After all, the earliest "dogs" were fed table scraps. When I first met my Irish husband, there were no branded dog foods in Ireland. Dogs were always fed table scraps.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Good old info regarding expiration, and no I don't mean dieing. In my childhood in Portugal, branded dog food was unheard of, dogs just ate whatever they could muster or catch, much as the coyotes and wolves in my back yard do today. Protect your chickens, neighbor's dogs may be different rather than indifferent

https://www.consumerreports.org/food...810_nsltr_food
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 08-10-18 at 12:08 PM.

Thread Information