Thread: Monsanto ordered to pay $289m as jury rules weedkiller caused man's cancer

Default Monsanto ordered to pay $289m as jury rules weedkiller caused man's cancer

Sam Levin in San Francisco and Patrick Greenfield
    Sat 11 Aug 2018

Court finds in favor of Dewayne Johnson, first person to take Roundup maker to trial

Monsanto suffered a major blow with a jury ruling that the company was liable for a terminally ill man’s cancer, awarding him $289m in damages.
    Dewayne Johnson, a 46-year-old former groundskeeper, won a huge victory in the landmark case on Friday, with the jury determining that Monsanto’s Roundup weedkiller caused his cancer and that the corporation failed to warn him of the health hazards from exposure. The jury further found that Monsanto “acted with malice or oppression”.
    Johnson’s lawyers argued over the course of a month-long trial in San Francisco that Monsanto had “fought science” for years and targeted academics who spoke up about possible health risks of the herbicide product. Johnson was the first person to take the agrochemical corporation to trial over allegations that the chemical sold under the brand Roundup causes cancer.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/business...johnson-ruling
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Monsanto ordered to pay $289m as jury rules weedkiller caused man's cancer

This decision has monumental implications given the thousands of people who have been similarly harmed by glyphosate. Consider the entire agricultural industry, just for openers.

Default Re: Monsanto ordered to pay $289m as jury rules weedkiller caused man's cancer

Posted by Mr. Wizard to an earlier story, relocated to align with current news.
    -Admin

Happy to see Monsanto is finally coming under fire. However, now that Monsanto has been purchased by Bayer for $63 Billion, these monetary judgments are a mere drop in the bucket for Bayer. Incidentally, Bayer is dropping the name Monsanto, but keeping the brand names for the well-known products, like Roundup. Also, since Bayer is a German company, I wonder if Monsanto's sins against Americans can be judicially promulgated against a foreign company. I think the answer is yes, but I'll research.

Based on my research, it appears Bayer will be responsible for existing and future lawsuits against Monsanto. Of course, there are many loopholes available, but generally here's what the law says:
    "In general, when Corporation "A" buys Company "B", the buyer purchases its liabilities as well, including outstanding debts and other obligations. Legally, a lawsuit is considered a debt, even if it has yet to be resolved. This means that in taking over Monsanto, Bayer will be liable for any current pending lawsuits. When this is the case, the buyer may choose to settle all outstanding claims, or parties will go to trial."
    Bayer may ultimately regret purchasing Monsanto because immediately following the $289 million judgment against Monsanto, Bayer's stock fell 10%--the sharpest drop in over 2 yrs. Reportedly, Monsanto still faces at least 5,000 similar lawsuits. As I stated, Bayer may live to regret buying Monsanto, over and over and over. But wait, Bayer had to know about Monsanto's legal troubles....right? Surely, it had to know about all the roundup and the new dicamba cases...right??? Read more here: http://fortune.com/2018/08/13/bayer-...ancer-lawsuit/
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 08-18-18 at 05:55 PM.

Yes, one would assume that a corporation with Bayer's history would have done due diligence before acquiring another company. Surely they knew that Monsanto has the reputation of the world's "most evil" corporation!

Well, upon further review, it "appears" Bayer may have an overwhelmingly "checkered past" of its own. Reportedly, Bayer has engaged in its own underhanded shenanigans over the years. Since I have not thoroughly researched these alleged atrocities, I will not repeat them here. However, if any one of these allegations is true, it would go a long way in explaining the Bayer's hubris in acquiring Monsanto with all of its past and pending legal jeopardy. The top neighborhood bully always picked other bullies to play on their team.

My memory of German history is misty, but I recall Bayer being implicated in all kinds of war-related unpleasantness. I daresay they are just as evil as Monsanto, and historically, more experienced! You can be sure they didn't enter this relationship with their eyes closed.

I'm keeping a watchful eye on this Bayer / Monsanto merger. The combined lawsuits against them may ultimately lead to the merger's destruction. Bayer is facing untold lawsuits involving several of its major products, Xarelto - a blood thinner, Avelox - a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, and Yaz/Yasmin - birth control pills. And, of course, Monsanto is facing reportedly at least 5,000 RoundUp (glyphosate) lawsuits. This is truly a saga worth following.

Today, Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018, the judge denied Bayer's appeal of the verdict reached earlier this summer by a jury which awarded a cancer patient $289 Million due to damage caused by RoundUp (glyphosate). This is a huge, huge victory for all those harmed by this chemical. Apparently, Bayer's stock has crashed as a result. If the several thousand pending lawsuits against Bayer/Monsanto prevail, it is estimated that Bayer could end up paying as much as $800 Billion. Stay tuned!!

Bravo! Hip hip hooray!

Although the judge upheld the verdict against Bayer/Monsanto, she reduced the amount of damages awarded from $289 million to just under $80 million. I was not able to determine her reasoning for the reduction. However, it is common for appeal judges to reduce damages awarded. I think $80 million still sends a very clear message that if companies willfully & knowingly harm people they will pay.

I had read that initially the judge had wanted to throw out the verdict altogether, but for legal technicality reasons, she could not. So she did the next best thing, in her opinion, which was to reduce the fine. So IMHO this is not an unqualified success, but still is a step in the right direction. We need to have many more of these.

Thread Information