Thread: Heavy Metals in Baby Food: What You Need to Know

Default Heavy Metals in Baby Food: What You Need to Know

Jesse Hirsch
    August 16, 2018

Consumer Reports’ testing shows concerning levels of arsenic, cadmium, and lead in many popular baby and toddler foods

You’ve probably heard that lead has been found in drinking water, that certain kinds of fish contain high levels of mercury, and that worrisome amounts of arsenic have been found in rice. But you may not know why that's a problem—or that these elements (and others, such as lead and cadmium), commonly known as “heavy metals,” are also in many other foods. This includes foods made just for babies and toddlers, such as popular snacks, cereals, prepared entrées, and packaged fruits and vegetables.
    Over time, exposure to heavy metals can harm the health of adults and children. One of the biggest worries: cognitive development in very young children.

Keep reading: https://www.consumerreports.org/food...-in-baby-food/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Heavy Metals in Baby Food: What You Need to Know

You need to read a fair way down to get to the " where do these elements come from?" part of the discussion. For a start, 'rice absorbs about 10 times more arsenic than other grains absorb.' So if I was a parent I would begin by avoiding rice products. It's a cheap filler in baby foods, but there are alternatives.

I never bought baby food, always made my own. But I was a 'stay-at-home' mother, so I had the time. This is really bad news.

Every effort should be made to keep baby & toddler foods as clean as possible. Years ago when I was researching organic milk for my infant grandson, I called two companies to inquire about some of the ingredients in their products. To my surprise, the people I spoke with (the nutritionists) were not aware that some of their products contained synthetic or harmful ingredients. They admitted their ignorance and thanked me for the information. So, I believe, and I hope, as these companies know better, they will do better. After all, we're talking about babies & toddlers.

One would like to think that corporations have some morals left, especially when it comes to children. It's good to know that there are sources like Consumer Reports to make this kind of information available to parents.

Like Julieanne, I raised my children on homemade and later, homegrown food. I'm pretty certain that "baby food" is a relatively recent commodity and that for centuries, babies ate some form of what their parents ate.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information