Thread: Are Potatoes Good For You?

Default Are Potatoes Good For You?

Julia Calderone
    August 19 2018

They’ve been maligned in nutrition circles for decades, with links to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. But they’re also highly satisfying and provide many essential nutrients.
    So are potatoes good for you or not?
    “Potatoes have gotten a bad rap because of the way they’ve been eaten and processed in the modern food system,” says Charles Mueller, Ph.D., a clinical associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies at New York University.

Read more: https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...ign=pockethits

Default Re: Are Potatoes Good For You?

Conventionally grown potatoes should be "maligned in nutrition circles." They are loaded with chemicals. As a "root" vegetable, the potato essentially absorbs almost all the herbicides, pesticides and insecticides sprayed above ground and then eventually make their way into the soil. According to the USDA Pesticide Data Program, thirty-five (35) different pesticides are typically found on conventionally grown potatoes, with 31 of these chemicals being either a neurotoxin, a developmental or reproductive toxin, a hormone disruptor, and/or carcinogen. Almost all "conventionally grown" potatoes contain a herbicide known as chlorpropham, which is used to inhibit potato sprouting, among other things. Chlorpropham is toxic to honey bees, and lab animals exposed to it experienced a wide range of adverse health conditions. Bottom line: if you like potatoes, eat organic. By the way, the Environmental Working Group includes conventionally grown potatoes on its 2018 Dirty Dozen list. Read more here: https://livingmaxwell.com/health-ris...ional-potatoes

Of course I grow my own (organic) potatoes... and for the last 3 years I've had Huckleberry Gold, from my friend Jim Gerritsen, the organic potato grower from Wood Prairie Farm in Bridgewater, Maine (I've quoted him sometimes in comments here on HH). This is a purple potato with yellow flesh and is said to be lower on the glycemic index than traditional spuds.

Remember, I married an Irishman who didn't emigrate to the USA until age 33, so he was very definitely a "meat & potato" bloke. Though I weaned him away from a daily dose, potatoes always played an important role in our cuisine. But that's ok, because they were homegrown, healthy, and often served chilled in potato salad in summer — so even back before it was trendy, we were consuming resistant starch. As a Type 2 diabetic, I now limit both white and sweet potatoes but continue to grow and enjoy my own.

Recently I was cutting out a page of newspaper coupons for a fast food chain. (I send these to the Bangor police department because the po-po love them). What suddenly struck me was that every. single. item. on the page was accompanied by an order of fries! I think the ordinary (OG) potato is healthy, especially with butter and/or sour cream, but it just occurred to me that most Americans eat theirs in the form of sticks deep-fried in canola oil. Think of the implications... toxic, toxic, toxic...
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The potato's fiber, potassium, nutrient C, and nutrient B content, combined with its absence of cholesterol, all help heart well being, potatoes contain noteworthy measures of fiber, fiber helps bring down the aggregate sum of cholesterol in the blood, in this way diminishing the danger of coronary illness...
    My life is my message

But potatoes are high in starch, so I limit them as a type two diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    But potatoes are high in starch, so I limit them as a type two diabetic.
    Let's not forget the possibility of amylose, starch resistent, (type 3 retrograded) Mediterranean potato salad, with EVOO, ACV, and with oregano, paprika or termeric, garlc granules, cilantro or parsley, etc. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/a...sistant-starch

That's primarily the way I eat them, Grulla. They are still not exactly a health food, but once chilled, their strength as a sugar is dialed down.

I'm gonna challenge your use of "Mediterranean" in your potato salad, though. Olives and oregano qualify... but paprika is Hungarian, turmeric is Indian, cilantro is Mexican, garlic is Asian and I'm not sure about parsley. Maybe you should call it your "herbal" potato salad?

Thread Information