Thread: Tylenol Kills Emotions As Well as Pain Study Reveals

Default Tylenol Kills Emotions As Well as Pain Study Reveals

Sayer Ji
    April 15 2015

For decades Tylenol has been used as a pain-killer, but new research reveals it has psychiatric side effects including dulled emotional responses to both positive and negative stimuli.
    The public is beginning to understand that many over-the-counter painkillers do more than just kill pain, but sometimes kill those taking them.

For instance, A 2013 review of 754 clinical trials published in Lancet found that NSAID use was associated with roughly double the heart failure risk. Ibuprofen, in particular, has been estimated to cause thousands to die of cardiovascular events each year, and according to the lead researcher of the Lancet review, equally as dangerous for long-term users as the drug Vioxx which was estimated to cause 30,000 excess heart attacks and sudden cardiac deaths between 1999-2003 alone

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/tyl...-study-reveals

Default Re: Tylenol Kills Emotions As Well as Pain Study Reveals

Tylenol is bad news. So, now it's been shown to have psychiatric impact as well as physical harm. It took 40 yrs. for them to tell the public that Tylenol will destroy your liver! The acetaminophen, the key pain reliever ingredient, is the real culprit. Unfortunately, acetaminophen is everything, like Alka-Seltzer Plus, Contac, DayQuil & NyQuil, Cepacol, Dimetapp, Dristan, Excedrin, Midol, Mucinex, Robitussin, Panadol, Sinutab, Sudafed, Theraflu, Triaminic, and the good old tried and tested Vicks. It's also in oxycodone, vicodin, and percocet too!! Yes, it's in everything.

Holy smoke, I had no idea! Another reason to avoid OTC nostrums.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

One can avoid OTC medicines but acetaminophen is in almost every prescription medication too, including even generics. One article I read stated that acetaminophen is in more than 600 medications, both OTC & pharma. In the pharmaceutical drugs, the label sometimes uses abbreviations like APAP, instead of spelling out the entire ingredient acetaminophen. It's almost impossible to avoid.

But why? I don't get it.

Excellent question, Islander. The short answer is acetaminophen is in almost all medication because it is generally much easier on than stomach than Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammation Drugs (NSAID). NSAID, including aspirin, have a long history of causing stomach problems and ulcers, as well as being hard on the kidneys and raising blood pressure. So, most people prefer acetaminophen over NSAIDs, even though acetaminophen eases pain & fever, but does not affect inflammation. But, before people think they're home free with acetaminophen, be careful because it can cause liver damage.

And all this time I thought acetaminophen was one of the NSAIDs. So it's not anti-inflammatory? And any medication I take is apt to contain it. Again, why? Is "pain relief" slipped into practically every medication I take? At what level? Sorry for dwelling on this, but I'm dumbfounded. The manufactures of acetaminophen must've negotiated some kind of sweet deal!

Acetaminophen reduces fever, quells headaches, and provides some pain relief. But, I believe the reason for its ubiquity in hundreds of medications is its gentle properties on the stomach and the gastrointestinal system. In fact, when acetaminophen hit the market as Tylenol Elixir for Children in 1955, this is exactly the way McNeil Labs marketed it--relief against fever and pain without upsetting the stomach. By this time, aspirin (acetylsalicyclic acid) had developed a terrible reputation for promoting stomach and gastrointestinal problems, such as peptic ulcers. Children really had a difficult time tolerating medications containing aspirin. And, later in the 1980s, children consuming aspirin products was linked to Reyes Syndrome, a potentially fatal condition. Also, another possible contributing factor to acetaminophen's ubiquity could be McNeil Labs' "masterful" marketing strategy. McNeil Labs marketed Tylenol directly to doctors, pharmacists, and hospitals, convincing them to push Tylenol (acetaminophen) over aspirin because it was gentler on the stomach. And, simultaneously, McNeil waged war on aspirin's poor track record of causing ulcers and stomach problems for children and adults. So, while I don't have a "definitive" answer to your question, I believe the ubiquity of acetaminophen in hundreds of medications is due to aspirin's inherent problems and McNeil Labs' masterful, aggressive marketing strategy promoting acetaminophen (Tylenol) as a safer, more effective medication.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and to review the history, Mr. Wizard. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know all that! Actually I'm kinda glad I didn't know back in the day, because at one time (for a brief time) I was taking handfuls of aspirin. Apparently I have a strong stomach because I don't remember any ill effects. These days, if I absolutely have to be on my feet for extended periods, I resort to ibuprofen.

I had two stays in hospital last year, and both times four-hourly acetaminophen (Paracetamol in Oz) was strongly recommended. This was on top of twice daily strong pain relief. I did query this amount, and refused some of it. As soon as I got home I hoed into my bottle of NAC (N-acetyl Cysteine) which I usually take for another purpose. Can't say I felt any ill effects, but then I can't see the state of my kidneys.Two doctors have told me in the past I have very healthy kidneys, so maybe that helped.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 09-04-18 at 05:05 AM.

@Islander: Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) is in the NSAID family and came to market in the 1960s after acetaminophen. It has a lower risk of causing gastrointestinal problems because it acts quickly without staying in the body too long. Taken for long periods, however, gastrointestinal problems can develop. But, you should be fine since you only take when you have to be on your feet for extended periods.
    @Julieanne: Acetaminophen does not adversely affect your kidneys. The liver can be damaged if paracetamol--as it is called everywhere other than the U.S.--is taken in large doses. In the U.S., as of 2014, prescription paracetamol pills could exceed 350 mg., and the daily recommended maximum dose was set between 3,000 - 4,000 mg. per day.

Mr Wiz, I thought ibuprofen damaged the liver and paracetamol damaged the kidneys. Was I wrong?

Julieanne, all these drugs can do harm to any organ. The preponderance of the adverse reaction reports over the years show that acetaminophen (paracetamol) in regular high doses is more likely associated with liver damage, while long term regular use of NSAIDs is most likely associated with damage to the kidneys, gastrointestinal system, and the vascular system.

Thread Information