Thread: What Makes The Human Brain Unique? A Newly Discovered Neuron May Be A Clue

Default What Makes The Human Brain Unique? A Newly Discovered Neuron May Be A Clue

John Hamilton
    August 27 2018

Scientists have taken another step toward understanding what makes the human brain unique.
    An international team has identified a kind of brain cell that exists in people but not mice, the team reported Monday in the journal Nature Neuroscience.
    "This particular type of cell had properties that had never actually been described in another species," says Ed Lein, one of the study's authors and an investigator at the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle.
    The finding could help explain why many experimental treatments for brain disorders have worked in mice, but failed in people

Read more: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...n-brain-unique
    Last edited by Julieanne; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: What Makes The Human Brain Unique? A Newly Discovered Neuron May Be A Clue

Very informative. So this newly discovered "rose hip" brain cell may be key to understanding autism, Alzheimer's, and schizophrenia. No wonder it has proven an overwhelmingly difficult task to develop cures for diseases affecting the brain. Scientists don't yet have a handle on all the different type brain cells. Apparently, research continues to show how brain cells differ in humans, mice, and monkeys. Wow, thought we would have known this already.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:48 PM.

Default Re: What Makes The Human Brain Unique? A Newly Discovered Neuron May Be A Clue

I think the history of science is a series of pinnacles interrupted by steep pitfalls of discovery.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I think the history of science is a series of pinnacles interrupted by steep pitfalls of discovery.
    Well said!!

Speaking of brain cells, I recently watched a really good Alzheimer's documentary, which featured several individuals and how their family members were coping with the Alzheimer's patient. One patient--an 87 yr. old woman--would not give up driving her car, despite repeated pleas from her family. One day, in protest, she jumps in her car and drives away from the family home. In the back window of her car there was a BIG sign that read: "Woman Looking For Two Men....one to cook, and one to clean." I almost died laughing.

That is so funny - sounds like she wasn't too far gone. Couldn't happen in Australia though - you have to have a yearly test after 80. Not necessarily a full driving test, but one that tests your mental capacities. I doubt I would be allowed to drive if I had Alzheimer's.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:43 AM.

Funny, I'm looking for the same guys (and I'm 10 years younger)!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information