Thread: Human Gut Study Questions Probiotic Health Benefits

Default Human Gut Study Questions Probiotic Health Benefits

Open Access, no author given
    Sept 7, 2018

Summary: According to researchers, probiotics may not be as effective as most believe. Researchers report many people’s digestive tracts prevent standard probiotics from successfully colonizing them.
    Source: Cell Press.
    Probiotics are found in everything from chocolate and pickles to hand lotion and baby formula, and millions of people buy probiotic supplements to boost digestive health. But new research suggests they might not be as effective as we think. Through a series of experiments looking inside the human gut, researchers show that many people’s digestive tracts prevent standard probiotics from successfully colonizing them. Furthermore, taking probiotics to counterbalance antibiotics could delay the return of normal gut bacteria and gut gene expression to their naïve state. The research publishes as two back-to-back papers on September 6 in the journal Cell.
    Continue reading at: https://fourthventricle.com/human-gu...alth-benefits/

Default Re: Human Gut Study Questions Probiotic Health Benefits

Interesting study, but it would be very difficult to follow up for financial reasons. " 25 human volunteers underwent upper endoscopies and colonoscopies to sample their baseline microbiome in regions of the gut." If you had to do that before you took probiotics, to see which ones were suitable for you, you probably couldn't afford it.

I would also question " probiotics such as the ones you buy in the supermarket". Buy quality probiotics or eat fermented food if you want results. Personally, I was helped enormously when I started taking them a few years go - they helped with a number of issues.

I have made sauerkraut for 30 years, but only recently tried my luck (and taste buds) with kimchi and other fermented combinations. A few months ago I attended a fermentation workshop and came away with new knowledge, new recipes, and 3 quarts of fermented veggies. Shortly thereafter, a dear friend gifted me with some ceramic fermentation pots. I'm finally running low on what's in the fridge and am making ready to christen those vessels with new kimchi. I've become a big fan of fermented food!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I'd love to know what you learned about kimchi Islander, I have often thought of making it. ATM I rely for my probiotics on water kefir, which is a pleasant drink. My son was put off the idea of kimchi when he worked in S. Korea a few years ago. He said the smell of garlic was overpowering each morning when stepping in to the lift! I guess you could use less garlic?

Going off topic, but re: smelling of garlic, it seems to be an individual matter. I had a Chinese dentist who never smelt of garlic (he did eat it, I checked). But a dental technician told me last week his Korean assistant had to be kept away from patients when he ate garlic, it was overwhelming!

Garlic (or any other ingredient) is not mandatory. You put into kimchi whatever you like. One of my favorites is a carrot-ginger recipe. Often some kind of cabbage is the main ingredient in larger recipes, probably to add bulk.

I would love to post the two-page fermentation basics, and the multipage collection of recipes, but they are PDFs and I can't upload them here. However, I have the email addresses of all the regulars. If you're interested, make a request and I'll send them to you.

Count me in!

I love the kim chi that our local kim chi maker makes so much that I really am not motivated to learn how to do it myself. How lazy is that? Just had some in my dinner tonight.

Veteran Member

Please send to me, too, Islander! Thanks. So happy you have the ceramic pots. What a good gift.

The best way to obtain probiotics & prebiotics is through diet. The same is true with vitamins. However, one would have to eat a ton of food to obtain the quantities needed to battle a distinct health condition, which is why supplementation is necessary sometimes. Fermented foods, like kimchi, are great sources of probiotics if you can get homemade versions. Most of the grocery store versions are not worth the money. My Korean neighbor keeps me stocked with homemade kimchi. When I eat out--even at Korean restaurants, the homemade version is far superior.

Some people have the best neighbors!

She makes the best kimchi and chicken bulgoggi (korean barbecue). It takes her several months for her kimchi to ferment properly. I'm waiting on a new batch now. Sometimes, she gets a little carried away with the peppers. Don't like it too hot. Although the heat is medicinal, as we all know.

Thread Information