Thread: Bunion regulator/splint experience?

Veteran Member

Default Bunion regulator/splint experience?

I've had bunions since I was small, despite my mother's extreme care with my shoes. Recently I noticed that I can't move one of my big toes straight out towards the other foot anymore. It moves down (and maybe a little bit outwards, at times) when I try to make it move outwards, unless I move it manually; then it will move.

I don't like this situation, as it is a worsening of an already bothersome condition. I'm not interested in surgery, but I think I'd like to try one of those contraptions you use at night that pulls the toe into a more normal position. I've seen them called bunion splints, and I think bunion regulators. I've seen several online.

If you or someone you know has had experience with these, whether good or bad, I'd really appreciate hearing about it, including the brand and type involved.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 07-28-12 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: Bunion regulator/splint experience?

Pattypans, I have not used one myself as my bunion was too far gone by the time I decided to get it checked. I think the splint is something you wear while wearing shoes and the regulator is a device you wear at night. According to the podiatrist I saw, they do work if you start using them while the toe is still mobile, not extremely painful and deformed. Best is a custom device from a good podiatrist but there are pre-fab ones out there. Of course, custom depends on finances/insurance. I guess you would have to research ratings etc to make sure you got a decent one. From what you are describing, it seems to me like you would probably benefit. I wish I could tell you more. I don't want surgery either so I get by wearing pretty much only Birkenstock sandals. I did have orthotic sandals from VA but when I lost weight they got way too big. I haven't bothered trying to see if I can get more as the Birkie's work fine.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I don't know, i'm sorry. But if you try one, let us know!

I've of the opinion that bunions are pretty much predisposed.

I wore high heels (3-1/2 to 4 inches) with pointy toes most of my 20s. I also have a tendency to wear snug shoes. I have a slight bunion on my right foot that bothers me a little from time to time.

My younger sis has always worn loose shoes. Our feet are close to the same size (she might be half size bigger), but she often wears 2 shoe sizes larger than i do. She never wore "real heels" - she would sometimes/rarely wear a low heel of 1-1/2 to 2 inches. On both of her feet she has bunions that are quite pronounced.

The shoe choices did not seem to make any difference in our cases.

Best wishes for finding something you find helpful.

Veteran Member

Thanks so much. Mellow, I love my Birkies, too! Heaven on earth for your feet! And the splint/regulator I'm interested in is the one you wear at night. I don't have insurance. (Shh, don't tell Big Brother!)

Katee, thanks to you, too. My mother was always under the impression that there were two different reasons you could develop bunions: heredity and ill-fitting shoes, especially as a child. She herself had bunions and wanted to do all within her power to prevent me from getting them. I guess I inherited them.

Here's a 3rd reason for bunions. Nobody has bunions in my family except me so not hereditary. Also, never wore heels, pointy toe shoes etc. Except for school and church, pretty much went barefoot most of my childhood. I have one on my right foot only and it is a direct result of breaking the big toe at least 4 times in about 5 years.

Veteran Member

Update: I sent an e-mail to my chiropractor with several very specific questions about nighttime bunions splints. He gets an A-plus for not only answering ALL my questions clearly and fully, but adding additional advice. He suggests soaking the feet in hot water for 20 minutes before putting on the splints (to make the foot more "mobile", he said; I think he means malleable), and not adjusting it too tightly the first times, so as to avoid foot pain the next day. I'm doing the soaking, and for now, along with not adjusting the tension too tightly, I'm starting out with short periods of time. I'll work up to using them all night.

I got a locally-made nighttime splint which I asked him about (he said it's an excellent brand and gets good results). I call them my bunionators. I've only used them a couple of times, but I like the way my foot feels afterwards. I'll keep you posted, and thank you so much for all the input!

Thank you for letting us know! Blessings for you for healing and for the seriously cool "Bunionators!"

Veteran Member

Thanks, Reesacat! If anyone's interested, I can send you a link so you can take a look at them, but I don't know how much good that would do anybody here, as they are locally made.

Thanks for letting us know Pattypans and keep us posted

Veteran Member

Thanks for all your good wishes. I've been using my "bunionator"--not every night, but frequently--with very good results. I confess I got tired of the 40 minutes or so it took me to set up the foot soak with filtered water (after all, our feet absorb a lot, so why am I going to sit there soaking them in chlorine and a bunch of other toxins?), heated on the stove, with cold water to cool it and more hot to heat it up, etc. etc. plus do the actual soaking. So I haven't soaked them in a while, but I don't doubt it's a good idea to do so. I almost got Epsom salts the other day (long story), and when I finally do, I will soak my feet in them from time to time before "bunionating."

Anyway, now that I've succeeded in making a short story long, the point is that I am very happy with the results! After just one or two times, the big toe in question will move out now, though not as far as it did before its total regression. But that is progress! When I haven't used the bunion splint for a few days, I notice the difference. Also, it feels good to have it on, as my toe is in the position it was meant to be in, which is much more comfortable.

One funny thing I've noticed is it seems after I've been walking a while, including (maybe especially) barefoot on the sand at the beach, it can be almost impossible to make my toe move out (except manually, of course.) Go figure! I'm guessing it must have something to do with leg muscles that are working when I walk in the sand. Any ideas?

I'm going to look for some bunion exercises, and then maybe see if my chiropractor, whom I haven't seen for months, might be able to limber up my feet so that between the splint and the exercises my progress will be even greater. Any thoughts?

I think seeing the chiro is a good idea. You might have something in the hip/leg affecting the feet.

I totally agree about seeing the chiro. Really happy with your progress!

I also have a bunions and to be honest, it is soooo painful and I cant even wear any high heels as same as the girl who doesnt have any trouble with their feet. The surgery is kinda expensive though, so I did my own research and I found out that some celebrities are using cannabis cream. I have read many articles about medical cannabis and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, bone injuries, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article blimburnseeds.com/news/marijuana/news/media-tv/imprisoned-in-ecuador-for-carry-cannabis-seeds-and-paraphernalia-part-1/. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I donít even smoke. Alternatively, theyíve also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. If this is true I canít find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hello Nathalie856 and welcome to Hawkes' Health! I am a medical marijuana caregiver in Maine (USA). I can't cite personal exoerience, but I've read and researched countless studies and testimonials, including videos, of the power of cannabis to heal. It is probably best known for its ability to treat epilepsy, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia and the side effects of chemotherapy. There is also a fair bit of evidence that it can overcome cancer itself. However... I question whether cannabis could be effective in correcting bunions. What a quick search on line found:
    A bunion is formed when the big toe pushes against the next toe. Tight shoes, foot stress, and arthritis are causes.
    The main symptoms are bone deformity, pain, and stiffness.
    Treatments include changing shoes, padding the foot, and pain medications. Painful bunions can be removed surgically.

Sorry I can't be more helpful ó hope you find a solution that works for you!
    ‚ě§ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information