Thread: The Fear Of A Simple Fever

Default The Fear Of A Simple Fever

Rishna Parpia
    March 24 2016

Often, a fever indicates a reaction by your child's immune system when fighting infection. Is a fever always a cause for concern, or is it better to let nature run its course?

If your child has a low fever, do you race to the medicine cabinet and reach for acetaminophen (Tylenol) or another antipyretic (fever medicine) to lower your child’s body temperature as soon as possible? Do you call the pediatrician right away? While this is no doubt a natural reaction from parents concerned about their child’s illness, is your child’s fever always a cause for concern and is the rush to lower it the best option?

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/fear-simple-fever

Default Re: The Fear Of A Simple Fever

Tylenol contains acetaminophen, which "can" be toxic to the liver and cause asthma flare ups. That said, I remember the nights when my young children were feverish with aches and pain. I felt helpless. All I knew at the time was to reach for a bottle of tylenol. Now, I'm aware of a number of natural remedies that reduce fever, but all I knew back then was tylenol.

Mr Wizard, isn't the article saying it's better to not take anything to reduce fever? Remember all those old movies when the mother/heroine sits up all night bathing the forehead of the invalid with cold water? Looks like that was the best thing to do, though that didn't occur to me when I had young children. It seemed very old-fashioned!

You're correct. I was chastising myself for being too lazy to do anything more than reach for the tylenol when my kids were younger. I didn't know any better then, but do now. When we know better, we should do better.

Veteran Member

Here in Brazil, it's very common for a parent to take a child to the HOSPITAL for a fever. Someone was just telling me they did that very thing the other day. I hear it all the time. Apparently the health plans here make it easier to go to the hospital than to the doctor, or something, at least for certain things. I think what it is, actually, is that they consider it an emergency, so go straight to the hospital.

Patty, I don't know what health care is like in Brazil, but here in Australia, emergency care is free. So poorer people often go the the ED rather than pay a doctor's bill.

That seems so strange to me, since fever signals that the immune system is working on the illness. OTOH, a lot of people here use the emergency room as the first resort because they have no health insurance and no family doctor or dentist.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Pediatric fever is still very confusing to me. For example, some say that a temp of 102 F is within normal range for a toddler. However, 104 F is dangerous. I don't understand why 2 degrees would make such a difference. When my kids fever hit 100 F, I was ready to see a doc. And, what about those fevers that go away for a few hours and come back, going up and down for 3 or 4 days. That can't be good for a child.

Veteran Member

Julieanne and Islander, the people who tell me this are middle class, sometimes upper middle class. They have health insurance (called a health plan here), and they're not going to public hospitals for the most part. Their insurance pays for the emergency hospital visit. Poorer folks go to the nearest "Posto de Saude", which is a smallish neighborhood health center (not all neighborhoods have them) , funded by the government. They usually aren't very nice, and the state and city governments of Rio are in worse financial condition than normal at the moment, and have been for a while, so many of these centers are getting worse.

Most people of all classes except the rich go to these centers to vaccinate their children, as doctors don't vaccinate in their offices. The rich (or anybody else who can and wants to pay a lot for vaccinations) go to private vaccination clinics. Not that I'm a proponent of vaccinations or anything. The high price of the HPV "vaccines" (They don't don those in the government places, unless the policy has changed) has kept many a teenage girl's parent from that particular vaccine. In this case, the high price is a blessing in disguise. Sorry to have gotten off-topic, but I did start out on-topic.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:41 PM. Reason: to fix paragraphing

Interesting how different situations are viewed differently from one place to another. I suppose you all know that vaccines are pretty much mandatory here, given the amount of space devoted to discussing the pros and cons. The population in general takes them for granted, I think, but the better educated are better informed and attempt to avoid them, usually with some kind of official exemption, but some will go to the extreme of educating their children at home if the schools all mandate vaccines. Elsewhere on this site is a discussion and pay scale for doctors who are reimbursed for giving the entire series to the age of 5 or 6. Again, most people are unaware that docs are financially incentivized to vaxx in the USA.

@Mr. Wizard: You said, "I don't understand why 2 degrees would make such a difference." I don't either, really, except that as a parent I remember it was rare for a fever to exceed 102. At 103 it becomes concerning because above 104.0, possible brain damage can occur. So a fever of 103 would prompt a call to the doctor (and in my case, a prescription for a kidney infection), but I never had a kid that sick, thankfully.

Thread Information