Thread: Zoo Weans Animals Off Fruit Because Increased Sugar Makes Them Fat and Rots Their tee

Default Zoo Weans Animals Off Fruit Because Increased Sugar Makes Them Fat and Rots Their tee

Brendan Cole
    9/30/18

Zookeepers in Melbourne have had to wean their animals off fruit -- which is now so full of sugar that it has made them fat and rotted their teeth.
    The cultivation and selective breeding of fruit has made fruit so sugary that they are now too unhealthy for the animals. This is why Melbourne Zoo has decided to switch its animals’ diet towards green leafy vegetables and red pandas are given “panda pellets” that are packed with vitamins and minerals.
    Melbourne Zoo’s head vet Michael Lynch told the Melbourne Age that its monkeys do not get any bananas at all.

Read more: https://www.newsweek.com/zoo-weans-a..._medium=Social
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Zoo Weans Animals Off Fruit Because Increased Sugar Makes Them Fat and Rots Their

"-- which is now so full of sugar that it has made them fat and rotted their teeth" For the same reason, we had/have never fed grain to our horses. About 12+ years ago, a traveling equine dentist from Oklahoma stopped by to inspect the teeth of our breeding band, and gave them all a clean bill of health. I only have 4 mares left and occasionally feed them organic carrots that I buy reasonably priced in 5 lb bags at my co-op.

Default Re: Zoo Weans Animals Off Fruit Because Increased Sugar Makes Them Fat and Rots Their

I would never have called carrots sweet. It wasn't until I adopted this diabetic diet I've been using to manage my condition that I discovered the inherent sweetness of certain root vegetables. One summer day not long ago I splurged and made a potato salad with celery, onion, a boiled egg and, as an afterthought, grated a bit of carrot into it for color. I was surprised at how sweet that salad tasted... until I realized that was the carrot's contribution!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information