Thread: Six Minnesota kids suffer rare, polio-like disorder

Default Six Minnesota kids suffer rare, polio-like disorder

By Jeremy Olson
    October 5, 2018

State health officials have issued an alert to doctors after six Minnesota children were diagnosed with a rare, polio-like disorder that causes reduced mobility or paralysis in the arms and legs.
    All six cases of acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) have been reported since Sep. 20, prompting the Minnesota Department of Health to ask doctors to be on the lookout for the disorder, which has severe consequences but mysterious origins.
    "It is very rare and it is certainly something we're taking very seriously," said Kris Ehresmann, who directs the Health Department's infectious disease section. "It's a very devastating situation" for the children and their families, she said.

Continue reading at: http://www.startribune.com/six-minne...der/495281011/

Default Re: Six Minnesota kids suffer rare, polio-like disorder

Update: 3 More Kids Have Developed a Rare, Polio-Like Illness—and Health Officials Don't Know Why
    http://time.com/5418400/acute-flacci...3a%22USA%22%7d

My first thought was the "wild" polio virus, but it's way more complicated than that. And puzzling.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Similarly, Islander, I also immediately thought of polio. I've read in several places that doctors often don't report diseases that vaccines can supposedly eradicate as that disease (in spite of identical or almost identical symptoms), but as some nebulous, supposedly unknown other thing. That's (at least sometimes) why statistics seem to corroborate claims that X vaccine has eradicated X disease, and that X vaccination effectively protects against X disease. Like Mark Twain said about statistics and damned lies . . .

Great comment Patty! I wasn't aware of that.

Love Pattypans comment too!!! Had not thought about the medical community covering for a disease that's suppose to be eradicated. As of Oct., 62 cases identified across 22 states. Most of the children are 10 yrs. old or younger. They've given it a fancy new name: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM). But, health officials keep telling us it is a "rare" condition, only 1 in a million people are likely to get it. But, get this...it's so rare they're warning all of us to keep up-to-date with our vaccines and wash our hands frequently. OK.

Veteran Member

Here's a smoking gun on the renaming of polio to . . . yes, acute flaccid myelitis. It's taken from a letter written by Dr Viera Scheibner (PhD) scientist/author (retired) and published in 2012 in the British Medical Journal.

"Ron Law (Assaulting alternative medicine: worthwhile or witch hunt? BMJ.com 10 March 2012) recently addressed the polio situation in India: eradication has been achieved by re-naming the disease. Poliomyelitis paralysis which occurs even after 30+ vaccination doses, is now called acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) or polio-like paralysis; hardly a great success of vaccination or comfort to the parents of the more than 60 000 affected children."

I realize it's not the exact same name as in the article posted, but it's awfully close, and it shows the tactic.

(Emphasis added)
    This is just a small part of the letter; if you're interested, you can read it here: https://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e2398/rr/578260

Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:21 PM.

Amazing! Thanks Pattypans for helping to make all this a little clearer. As a grandparent of a 5 yr. old, I was a little concerned about this new AFM condition. And, your post makes it clear that it's possible to have this condition even after vaccinaton. This helps me a lot.

Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit. Wonder what they'll name whooping cough, now that vaccines no longer protect us from pertussis.

Veteran Member

Well, Biscuit, the same woman who wrote the letter I posted parts of says (in another place) that whooping cough in vaccinated children will be called croup. That would be not exactly renaming the disease, but intentionally misdiagnosing it, as far as I can see. That's awful.

Whole. Lee. Schitt. I was being sort of tongue-in-cheek but that is really what they are doing — we call it CYA. "Croup" indeed!

So, the CDC now says that about 362 cases of AFM have been confirmed since August 2014. Epidemiologists estimate that the number of actual cases is much larger. AFM is "associated" with two entero-viruses, two Non-polio enteroviruses--(EV-D68) and (EV-A71). Now, EV-D68 was identified in the 1960s, but was never known to cause paralysis until beginning in 2014. I will continue to follow and update over time.

Thread Information