Thread: This Natural Remedy May Help Us Overcome Antibiotic Resistance And Superbugs

Default This Natural Remedy May Help Us Overcome Antibiotic Resistance And Superbugs

Michelle Schoffro Cook
    October 5 2018

Most of us know that antibiotics, our so-called best weapon against superbugs, are slowly (and sometimes quickly) losing their effectiveness against many bacterial infections, putting people at a serious risk of contracting an untreatable or even deadly infection. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have stated that the threat of superbugs and antibiotic resistance is “a quickly growing, extremely dangerous problem.” Scientists around the globe have been searching for the solution. And, they may have found it in probiotics.

Read more: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/th...superbugs.html

Default Re: This Natural Remedy May Help Us Overcome Antibiotic Resistance And Superbugs

This is great news about probiotics. Apparently, there's still a lot we don't know. Also, probiotics need "pre-biotics" to survive and thrive in our guts. Prebiotics are a certain type of fiber (known as inulin) that humans can't digest. The best food sources for prebiotics are: onions, garlic, chickory root, artichoke (Jerusalem), dandelion greens, leeks, asparagus, beans, peas, and berries. A daily serving of any of the above will help to fortify the natural probiotics in your gut.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-08-18 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: This Natural Remedy May Help Us Overcome Antibiotic Resistance And Superbugs

I think I routinely have a daily serving of eat least one of those nine items. Jerusalem artichokes are only in season in early spring and fall (right now!) But these roots, affectionately called "sunchokes," will keep for months in the crisper. If anyone has space to grow a few, I'll gladly send some small roots that will quickly grow and multiply. Just reimburse for postage.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Jerusalem artichokes pack the highest concentration of inulin, or the fiber that makes it a prebiotic. However, in addition to the fruits & veggies listed above, inulin is also found in small amounts in bananas, wheat, rye, and barley products. I understand that these prebiotic foods can cause gas and bloating in some people. So, don't load up on too many at one time.

I used to grow Jerusalem artichokes many years ago. but eventually lost them. Now I can't find them to plant anywhere. Even put out a request on a couple of forums, with no response. Few people have heard of them, seems to be confined to a few keen gardeners.

Julieanne, can plant material be sent to you from the U.S?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Our customs are so restrictive I can't even get plant material ( and many seeds) from other states! Artichokes would be a definite no-no, as they have been in the soil. Australia is relatively free from many pests and diseases that plague other countries, so I guess I should be glad we are attempting to keep it that way.

I sent an email this morning to our local organic growers group, and someone is going to bring a few along tomorrow night! Should have thought of it earlier, but I gave up going to meetings quite a while ago. So thanks for the offer, I'm OK now.

Thread Information