Thread: Healthy Eating Guidelines Shaped By Food Industry Lobby, Claims Nutritionist

Default Healthy Eating Guidelines Shaped By Food Industry Lobby, Claims Nutritionist

Bryan Hubbard
    June 16 2016

Healthy eating guidelines have been shaped more by industry pressures and lobby groups than good science, claims a leading nutritionist. As a result, the public is being encouraged to eat foods that could be contributing to chronic diseases.
    The UK’s new Eatwell Guide, launched last March, was put together by an ‘expert’ group primarily made up of representatives of the food and drink industry, says Dr Zoe Harcombe from the University of West Scotland.
    The new guide emphasises the importance of starchy foods—which take up 38 per cent of the healthy plate, five per cent more than was recommended in the 2007 guidelines—and fruit and vegetables fill a further 40 per cent of the plate, while milk and dairy make up eight per cent, almost halving the amount considered healthy before.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2016/06/h...NTNhZjI1In0%3D
    Last edited by Julieanne; 10-19-18 at 04:44 AM.

Default Re: Healthy Eating Guidelines Shaped By Food Industry Lobby, Claims Nutritionist

I don't think any of these so called, "healthy eating guidelines," have been developed based on nutritional science. The USDA's food pyramid was published in 1992 based on consumer research, according to their website. It was redone in 2005, but not based on input from nutritionist. Finally, in 2011, USDA published MyPlate to replace the Food Pyramid. The plate is divided into 4 sections: fruits, grains, veggies & protein. The goal was to provide the consumer with visual cues about what to eat, rather than provide any "specific message" about what specifically to eat. I don't find any of these guidelines helpful. And, judging from the growing population of unhealthy, obese individuals, I don't think others find any utility in them either.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 10-19-18 at 04:45 AM.

Default Re: Healthy Eating Guidelines Shaped By Food Industry Lobby, Claims Nutritionist

"The new guide emphasises the importance of starchy foods—which take up 38 per cent of the healthy plate..." I am shocked, shocked, I tell you.
    I don't know which is worse, government advice or that of corporate-affiliated nutrition "experts." Eleven years ago, when I was diagnosed with Type Two diabetes, a few minutes' research told me that sugars and starches were responsible for my condition. And I'm a mere layman, er, woman... no, that doesn't sound right either. But I don't need any letters after my name when a few minutes' reading demonstrates that all the so-called expert guides are wrong. In fact, that's the reason for sites like this one — because when it comes to nutrition, we have to educate ourselves to be our own doctors.

We need no further explanation for the epidemic of diabetes than the proliferation of dietary advice from representatives of the sugar and flour industries and their affiliates, like the soft drink industry.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 10-19-18 at 04:45 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information