Thread: New outlook on global warming: Best prepare for social collapse, and soon

Default New outlook on global warming: Best prepare for social collapse, and soon

Spoiler alert: this is not a hopeful essay. I'm posting it because I consider it urgent.

Ron Meador
    10/15/2018

One climate scientist predicts an ice-free arctic summer in the next few years.

Now that you’ve had a week to absorb the latest assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change — that we’re about out of time to cut emissions by amounts that could make global warming somewhat manageable — I’d like to introduce you to Jem Bendell and his notion of Deep Adaptation.
    “Like” isn’t the right verb there, with its sense of preference and maybe even pleasure; maybe that was reflex. Reading and writing about Deep Adaptation has been painful from the start, and I would really rather be talking about anything else today. But I feel a certain responsibility toward Bendell’s new research paper, which concludes that recent trends in key climate factors indicate we are headed for “near-term social collapse due to climate chaos.”

https://www.minnpost.com/earth-journ...mtRgMoN8HjzZD4
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: New outlook on global warming: Best prepare for social collapse, and soon

I really can't read this one again, but you're right it's depressing.

Default Re: New outlook on global warming: Best prepare for social collapse, and soon

Islander what we can do from our side to help the mother earth in anyway.

So, places like Venice, Italy; Key West, Fla.; Indonesia, etc. are being heavily impacted by climate change, and they're adapting. Some places are adapting better than others. In the end, sources, like this article, say the non-linear, exponential speed of the changes will make it impossible to adapt quickly enough to keep up. But,...who knows. I'm an eternal optimist. I believe in miracles, and that's probably what it will take--many miracles.

Lizeth, at this point there is really nothing that can be done to avert a crisis the oil companies have known for a century. Recycling, changing to LED light bulbs, going solar, driving an electric car etc. etc.— there's nothing that can be done on a human scale to avert the inevitable... building sea walls and that sort of thing will only postpone what's coming. What's desperately needed is a plan for U.S. climate migration, for refugees relocating from floods, droughts, storms, wildfires, rising sea levels and all: how will we house them, feed them, employ them, school their children? Again, we all knew this was coming but there has been no acknowledgment from Washington, no political will to prepare for these eventualities. The result? Expect chaos, social collapse, pandemonium. We humans have fouled our own nest. I wish there were good news but I'm resigned to what's coming. All I can do now is support friends and family to accept it, and live one day at a time. And be kind. In a world where we can be anything... be kind.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Well said Islander

Thread Information