Thread: The FDA Is About To Approve A New Addictive Opioid And These Scientists Are Alarmed

Default The FDA Is About To Approve A New Addictive Opioid And These Scientists Are Alarmed

Dan Vergano
    November 2, 2018

Update: On November 2, the FDA approved Dsuvia. "Looking beyond this particular drug approval, I believe that we should consider whether we should be doing more to evaluate each candidate opioid," FDA chief Scott Gottlieb said in a statement.

In an unprecedented public dispute, scientists advising the FDA can’t agree over whether to allow the strongest painkiller on the market to be sold as an under-the-tongue tablet.
    The drug, sufentanil, is an opioid 500 to 1,000 times more potent than morphine, and up to 10 times more powerful than fentanyl. The FDA approved an injected form of the drug more than two decades ago for severe injuries and use in surgery.
    A highly addictive drug, it has long been abused by doctors who surreptitiously took it in injections. Now, in the midst of a national opioid epidemic driven by fentanyl, the FDA must decide whether to approve a tablet version of sufentanil, marketed as Dsuvia by pharmaceutical company AcelRx of Redwood City, California. If approved, the tablets would only be available at hospitals and not sold from pharmacies.

Continue reading: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/dsuvia-sufentanil-fda-vote
    Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 10:14 AM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: The FDA Is About To Approve A New Addictive Opioid And These Scientists Are Alarm

It's hard to understand the widespread use of the black market fentanyl. When I was administered it while hospitalized, I would instantly throw up. It had to be infused into my IV practically drop by drop over a five minute period in order to take effect.
    Last edited by Islander; 1 Week Ago at 11:35 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The FDA Is About To Approve A New Addictive Opioid And These Scientists Are Alarm

This opioid--Sufentanil--has already been approved. The concern now is over whether it should be available in tablet form. Since it will only be available from hospitals, this will make it more difficult--but certainly not impossible--for people to get their hands on. At some point, I think we're going to have to question the individual who chooses to become addicted to these opioids. A few years ago, one may have been able to claim ignorance about how addictive these drugs are, but not now. The word is out there. I know people who request...yes, request, the strongest drugs they can get their hands on. And, despite being told of the dangers of taking too many, too often, they do it anyway. Whatever happen to individual responsibility?

I was warned just before leaving hospital last year that people often hang around the entrance and watch patients leaving with paper bags of medications. They offer to buy them. I certainly could have sold some, as in my experience (in Oz) hospitals overprescribe and give you far more than you need. I still have oxycodone tabs in a box a year later!

After having oral surgery, I told a relative the orthodontist had given me a prescription for percocet in case I experienced pain later on. I did not know at the time that percocet contained the opioid oxycodone. I had no plans to have the prescription filled, but my relative called me for 2 days begging me to fill the prescription. I never did, but learned later that percocet sells for good money on the street. We all have individual responsibility to not take these addicted drugs and when prescribed not to make them available to people who will take them recreationally or profit from them.

Overprescribing, and selling at the hospital door? Also scandalous!

Mr Wiz, "We all have individual responsibility to not take these addicted drugs". I can't agree that we shouldn't ever take them. They may be necessary for a while after surgery, or in cases of extreme pain. It's possible to take them responsibly and wean off when the pain improves, which I would guess is what most people do. It's the addicted ones we read about.

Islander posted this back in July: https://thecrimereport.org/2018/06/2...enient-truths/

Julie, what forum is that in? I admire your bodacious memory!

'The Phony War against Opioids: Some Inconvenient Truths'

• Mmm, I remember some things, forget a lot more!
    Last edited by Julieanne; 1 Week Ago at 05:50 AM.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Mr Wiz, "We all have individual responsibility to not take these addicted drugs". I can't agree that we shouldn't ever take them. They may be necessary for a while after surgery, or in cases of extreme pain. It's possible to take them responsibly and wean off when the pain improves, which I would guess is what most people do. It's the addicted ones we read about.

Islander posted this back in July: https://thecrimereport.org/2018/06/2...enient-truths/

Julieanne: I didn't mean to intimate that strong opioids should "never" be consumed. I agree these drugs are absolutely necessary in some situations, like after surgery, as you suggest. I was referring to the reckless, wanton disregard that some have for these powerhouse drugs, and their relentless efforts to abuse them, despite knowing the dangers.

Maybe I misunderstood, as you were prescribed Percocet but didn't take it after oral surgery. So I assumed you were opposed to any form of pain relief - it just came across that way.

One thing that puzzled me was what people actually get out of these drugs. Maybe I wasn't on an especially high dose (after hip surgery) but I didn't feel 'high' or experience anything other than relief from pain. I had morphine many years ago. and that was pleasant, but again, mostly because it took away the pain. I can't see the appeal, unless a higher dose has more effect.

Thread Information