Thread: Reminder about spamming

Default Reminder about spamming

I just had to ban a new user for linking to a business — in this case, a dental practice. Bans are permanent.

Please remember, promoting sales or services is forbidden. You will not get a warning or a second chance. Think before you post.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Reminder about spamming

"Please remember, promoting sales or services is forbidden." Say, what if I'm promoting someone else's (not my own) healthy or environmentally friendly product, with a link??? Clarity please.

The purpose of the product or service is irrelevant. The question is, does it have a price? If you are encouraging me to purchase something, whether or not you are a sales rep, you have crossed a line.
    Use your discretion. Recently I reported that a site wanted me to become a member in order to read the article. I signed reluctantly because I already have a full inbox every morning. Julieanne cautioned me that eventually they will insist that I buy a membership in order to access articles. She is not selling anything; she's cautioning me.

Now here's an example of what gets you banned. A member says that her dentist recommends that her 10-y-o son should wear braces. She argues that she think's he's too young and maybe the problem will solve itself as he grows. She asks what we think. Embedded in the post is a blue link... to a Boston dental practice. Spammers use this technique all the time; they get paid for every one they insert successfully, and double-plus-good if it actually reels in a sale. BAM goes the Ban Hammer. See?

Thank you for this clarification. I'm afraid I've "unknowingly" violated this rule a few times. I remember touting a supplement I was taking and then attaching a link to the company where it could be purchased. My intent was to be helpful, but now I realize I crossed a line. My sincere apologies!!

Maybe I should say it's a blurry line. I'm sure I've mentioned my main supplement source(s) more than once. Really, there isn't much difference between a recommendation and a sales pitch, is there?
    Here's a possible compromise: by all means, suggest a supplement, tell us how it worked for you (or didn't work). If someone's curious to ask where to find it, I'd say you're perfectly within bounds to cite your source. You might even add that they have a reputation for quality, speedy delivery, or international shipping. These are merely bits of helpful information as opposed to a sales push. Hope that helps make it clear! Besides, I think I know the regulars well enough to realize you're not spamming (as opposed to someone who joins, post a link to a business and then is never heard from again).

All good replies. I want to be able to helpfully point someone in the right direction with a good health product (link) without being guilty of being a huckster or spammer. I think "conflict of interest" should apply here, unless one is a third, neutral party.

Great compromise!!

Thread Information