Thread: Vitamin C Questions: Answered

Default Vitamin C Questions: Answered

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, March 27, 2018

Commentary by Helen Saul Case

(OMNS Mar 27 2018) I was born and raised in a household where we used vitamins instead of medicines. Consequently, I am very familiar with utilizing high-dose vitamin C to prevent and cure illness. Now that I have children of my own, vitamins help keep them healthy, too. I think you can do the same for your family. While I am not a doctor, and you should always work with yours, here are answers to some of the most common questions I have received about vitamin C. Topics addressed include its use in children, during pregnancy and lactation, for the treatment of illness, for the prevention of vaccination side effects, as well as help with vitamin C dosing, form, and frequency.

Keep reading: http://orthomolecular.activehosted.c...52e490f736.93&
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Vitamin C Questions: Answered

I was taken aback by the recommended high dosages. She mentioned that Linus Pauling took 18,000 mg. per day (18 grams). Wow!! Humans must consume vit. C because--like anthropoid apes, guinea pigs, and some species of birds & bats--we've lost the ability to synthesize it. However, the data show animals that can synthesize vit. C don't make anywhere near 18 grams per day. Gorillas, like humans, can't synthesize vit. C, but a 150 lb. gorilla consumes between 1,500 - 2,200 mg. per day. While vit. C toxicity is virtually unheard of, taking too much can certainly have its drawbacks. For example, vit. C metabolization creates oxalic acid, which has been linked to kidney stones and other kidney problems. Also, excessive vit. C (8 - 10 grams per day) impedes the absorption of vit. B12 and copper. Also, it can cause the body to absorb too much iron. Vit. C is essential to our well being, promoting collagen production, which is critical for healthy skin, nails, hair, bones, teeth, and joints. I was just struck by the recommended excessive amounts. Too much of a good thing....???

I somehow missed reading this article when it was posted. I agree Mr Wiz, those are very high doses! I take 3gms per day in divided doses, and I thought that was high. Haven't had 'flu for about 25 years, and my last cold was around 1o years ago, so it works for me.

According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), more than a 1 gram of vit. C per day is not well absorbed by the body in healthy adults. It appears that "ideal absorption" takes place at 200 mg. or less per day. Specifically, it states: "approximately 70% - 90% of vitamin C is absorbed at moderate intakes of 30 mg. - 180 mg. per day. However, at doses above 1 gram per day absorption falls to less than 50% and unmetabolized ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine. So, sounds like anything more than 1 gram a day is a waste, unless you're sick. Then, it becomes a very individualized situation.
    Read NIH Vit. C Fact Sheet here: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...ofessional/#h8

I've been taking 3-4g/day, in divided doses, for years, and can't remember when I last had a cold (or anything else). At the least sign of a sore throat I raise the dosage to a gram an hour; next day all symptoms are gone. And I have never reached bowel tolerance. I believe we are all different in our reactions to supplements and medications.

Agree, we are all different in the way we metabolize vits. & meds. **But, since this thread is about vit. C, I've wondered about the best form of vit. C (ascorbic acid), and whether it's best taken with or w/o food, etc. According to the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon University, there is no significant difference in the effectiveness (bioavailability) of vit. C whether it be in pill form, powder, or liquid. It does not matter whether it's taken with or w/o food. And, it does not matter whether the vit. C includes bioflavanoids, like rose hips, rutin, & hesperidin. What does matter...is the amount taken. According to their research, anything more than 200 mg. taken at one time is not fully absorbed. They recommend spacing large doses (more than 200 mg.) throughout the day for best absorption. The one thing I'm still a little curious about is their take on "liposomal" vit. C. Wish they could have enlightened more on this issue. Nevertheless, this is a quick, easy read, and I recommend to all for your edification. Here's the link:
    http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/linuspa...out-vitamin-c/

If more than 200 mg. is not fully absorbed, I wonder why supplements come in 500 mg. capsules. Pauling himself took massive daily doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    If more than 200 mg. is not fully absorbed, I wonder why supplements come in 500 mg. capsules.
    So, they can charge you more. Companies make more money selling you 500 mg. capsules than 200 mg. When I began supplementing with vit. C, I started with 50 mg. tablets. Can't find those anywhere today. There are some "whole food" vit. C capsules available in 100 mg. tabs., but even they are few and far between. You're right about Linus Pauling consuming massive daily doses of C. He may have been treating a specific illness?? From what I understand, more than 200 mg. may be necessary if you have a medical condition, like diabetes, arthritis, and even the flu, would require higher amounts. Certain conditions can increase the body's need for certain nutrients, like vit. C, zinc, magnesium, etc.

As Einstein said, Everything's relative. I think I was an undergrad when I first began taking daily C; I don't remember the original dose, only that when I got colds that settled into deep coughs, I began to increase the dosage. Once I reached the 4g/day level I stopped getting those viruses, even when surrounded by kids in public school classrooms... I literally can't remember the last time I got a cold. It's not a pricey vitamin and it's money well spent. Also noted: I begin each morning with the Pauling/Rath Protocol: C with L-Lysine and L-Proline, the heart attack prevention plan.

As another "sample of one", I can say that I routinely take 4 - 5 grams of vitamin C daily, with more when I begin to feel poorly. L-Lysine, as well, a bit more than Islander takes, but my supplement does not include L-Proline. In my area now, we are in the midst of the annual "Snowbird Flu" season, when people from the north begin to arrive, bringing their foreign germs with them. Plenty plenty people in my circle of acquaintances have been coming down with whatever it is, while I remain healthy. Proof of something? Who knows, but I'll take it.

Thread Information