Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Vaccine for Depression? (ketamine)

Default Re: A Vaccine for Depression?

I turned off the linky underlines. You're welcome.

Aha. So you're onto the "fake votes" machinations as well. It used to be instructive to see numbers of likes/dislikes as an index of how your audience perceived your usefulness, but even then, any criticism of the thin-skinned doctor set you plummeting to the bottom of the page. Honesty was how I lost my elevated status too.

Since I have no symptoms of over-or-under methylation I'd not bother with a blood test. I have done hair analysis a couple of times as a useful and affordable way of getting an overall picture of nutritional status. What I'd really like to find is a safe, reliable, non-pharmaceutical antidote for anxiety/depression (I think they're closely related).

I think, as time permits, I'll do a google search on methylation. There's been some mighty upheaval here at home that has been a time thief. When plumbers take everything out from under your counter in order to complete an all-day job, they should never attempt to put everything back where they found it. Of course they never get it right, which means I have to remove it all over again, sort it, and clean that space before replacing everything where it belongs. But I digress… thank you for all the helpful information and leads!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Don't worry about the blood test. Just give yourself an easy test of psych symptoms! Usually one can pick out the category of aberration they have, and then treat it! Now to be super simple, just read through the categories in the following brief link. Pick the most likely symptoms that match your personality, then apply the supplements suggested and refrain from any supplements/foods it suggests. It just may work. For more exhaustive lists of symptoms, you can just search for, say, "symptoms of overmethylation". There are more lengthy lists.

https://westcoastintegrativehealth.c...ression-walsh/

My personality maps into the "Folate Deficiency" category. Definitely I have these traits mentioned there: food sensitivities, noncompetitive sports, games, hyperactivity, absence of seasonal allergies, low libido, underachievement, high pain threshold, May be caring and generous in nature noncompetitive.

You don't need to map with all the traits, just pick the most likely set of traits. Then apply the nutrient recommendations.

One thing to be aware of: Once you remedy the condition, IT MAY NOT PERSIST. So if you take some B6 and zinc and the condition disappears, don't think you have to continue on the supplements indefinitely! And if you happen to be in a category where it suggests "folic-acid", don't take folic-acid. It's horrible stuff. It accumulates in your blood just from what is added to commercially prepared grain products. Get folate from greens from your garden, etc. You probably already know this.

I realize this seems too simple, but if you want to try something and not even do a blood test, and you are getting by well enough in this difficult world, then give it a spin. It's reasonably priced, no?

Shazam! You are well !!

Take care of yourself this Winter! I think it's just getting started!
    Last edited by Islander; 01-17-19 at 12:40 PM.

Veteran Member

About 'chemical imbalances' vis-a-vis depression, the Counterpunch article I mentioned above (which now has its own thread) has much pertinent and interesting information. For example:

"Today, the falseness of this chemical-imbalance theory of depression is not controversial. In 2011, psychiatrist Ronald Pies, editor-in-chief emeritus of Psychiatric Times, stated, 'In truth, the ‘chemical imbalance’ notion was always a kind of urban legend— never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists.'" https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/12...-suicide-drug/

More on the subject can be found in paragraphs before and after that one.

Thanks, Pattypans!

I love these paragraphs:

"Velasquez-Manoff reports that the current crop of antidepressants that include SSRIs can “increase suicidality in some patients,” and this is accurate....."

"Psychiatry has a track record of enthusiasm over new antidepressant drugs for which there is insufficient research to merit such enthusiasm. It also has a history of asserting theories of mental illness as if fact when no such facts exist to substantiate these theories...."

"There will always be illegitimate authorities in any society, and in a genuine democracy, these are ultimately questioned, challenged, and abolished. In a truly democratic society, one that is not a theocracy, there should be no authority that cannot be questioned. Blind faith in authority is the stuff offascism and religion." [I love this]

So besides what author Bruce E. Levine says that is anti-Ketamine, are there other problems that should be known about this drug being used as an anti-depressant? Ketamine is new to me, but should I encounter other enthusiasm for it, I would love to know what to say.
    Last edited by Stoneharbor; 01-18-19 at 04:59 PM.

Well said, Stoneharbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    Take care of yourself this Winter! I think it's just getting started!
    Boy howdy, you're right. The plow guy has been here five times (at $20 a pop) and we are barely halfway through January. Plus there's another big snow drop on the way for this weekend!

I have been missing from the Dr M conversations for a long time now. Perhaps I have been missing some interesting stuff besides just the drama. It does seem that there is enough interpersonal drama with the various volunteer efforts in which I participate, that I did not feel the need to augment my high school experience with that particular online forum. Perhaps I should give it another chance.

As to methylation, yes, genetic testing is the newest latest greatest thing, which has gotten blown all out of proportion. I do find it interesting, however, when a set of SNPs can be inherited from both parents, which does seem to lead to a foregone conclusion. This seems to be the case with the MTHFR gene mutation. Perhaps someday I will care enough to get tested for this one. There are others that seem to be much more critical and informative, such as the COMT gene mutation and a few lesser known ones.

Maurya, I think you'll be disappointed in the current version of Mercola. A fellow from Spain, Guillermo, has taken over the site. Not only does he make the first post of the day, but he feels compelled to reply to his own post and then to reply to 75% of the rest of the posts on any given article. When he first joined his English was poor and he made a lot of direct quotes without attribution. It was so easy to tell because the quoted material was in flawless English. One day I explained to him what plagiarism was, and he became more careful... and his English has improved significantly. He goes into immense detail on each day's topic.
    And the number of "likes" has disappeared. I suspect the combination of Gui and the lack of numbers has discouraged a huge number of what used to be regulars. There are few participants now, and some of us have had their badges busted back to Rank Beginner. Go see for yourself!

@Maurya: Your reference to the COMT gene sent me researching. Wow. This amazing gene is directly responsible for lowering heartbeat to normal levels and restoring our sense of balance. It determines how we react to stress. It helps us ride the waves. Thanks for this gem. Now, I want to learn more about COMT gene mutation.

And when you do, please share it with the rest of us, Mr. Wzard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information