Thread: Powerful And Proliferative: The Formidable Purslane

Default Powerful And Proliferative: The Formidable Purslane

GreenMedInfo
    November 14 2018

What is considered a weed to some may be a powerful medicine to others. Valued in many cultures worldwide, this herbaceous succulent provides an array of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s omega-3 content rivals any other green land plant and often grows almost uncontrollably.

Walking like an Egyptian was something the Bangles taught us, but if we wanted to eat like the Egyptians it would include the addition of purslane.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/pow...eid=abeca83daf

Default Re: Powerful And Proliferative: The Formidable Purslane

I have Julieanne to thank for sending me cultivated purslane seeds. I also have a proliferation of the wild variety all over the vegetable garden, and use both in summer salads regularly.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

This weed looks better than the weeds I'm familiar with. That it protects the liver against chemicals, like acetaminophen, is remarkable.

Maybe Islander can send you some seeds? Just sprinkle a few around in spring and they pretty much take care of themselves - they are a weed, after all! Or I can send you some.

Italians here call it 'never die' - you will pretty much have it forever, though it is very easy to pull out.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:00 AM.

Hmm. We'll have to wait and see. My neighbor tilled my garden and then knocked down the hugelkultur and spread it around, like a layer of compost. The cultivar may not show up this year, meaning Julieanne may have to send me more seeds! I think the wild variety spreads via roots so may more likely be here to stay.

Veteran Member

I'll have to see what they call it here in Brazil.

Update: Aha! It's what I thought, although the leaves in the picture are a little different--a different variety, I guess. It has several names in Portuguese, but it wasn't until I found a Brazilian site (as opposed to a Portuguese one, as in 'from Portugal') that my suspicions were confirmed. Here in Rio, at least, they call it "ora-pro-nobis". ('Pray for us' in Latin--I heard a story/legend once about why it's called that, but I don't recall it at the moment.)

It started appearing at the organic farmers' markets a few years ago, touted for its protein. Seems its most common use traditionally was in stewed chicken dishes. We used it in salads, but its slight sliminess put me off a bit. Now that my husband's eating ketogenic, it's too high in protein, so I don't buy it anymore. We actually have a plant growing in a planter on our veranda (don't have a yard), but I guess it doesn't have the right conditions to spread. It hasn't changed much, except to get a little taller, in several years. The man who sells his own unofficially-organic bananas around the corner has tons on his land.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:52 PM. Reason: to add info

Interesting, Patty. I've never cooked it, I just use it in salads. I haven't found it to be slimy, just crunchy with an interesting texture.

Patty, I think we are talking about a different plant. One, purslane doesn't last for several years, it is an annual that spreads by seed. Two, it is certainly not slimy - I hate slimy vegetables (eg okra). Three, I don't think it is particularly high in protein, as it's the last nutrient mentioned on the list in this article.

Islander, there is still hope. I hadn't seen mine for a year or so, and thought I had lost it. Then it popped up in several place this summer. But I can still send you some from this new crop.

Edit. I just Googled ora pro nobis and it bears no relation to purslane. Looks like a very pretty plant though.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

Veteran Member

Yeah, my husband also told me I was mistaken. But ora pro nobis supposedly has the same, scientific name! It can be really hard to establish what certain plants are in English. Sometimes what sounds like the same thing definitely isn't. Sorry for the fake news!

Botany can be mystifying. I am not a botanist yet I ran a greenhouse and nursery for 12 years. For some reason botanical Latin comes easily to me, e.g. Populus maximowiksii 'Androscoggin' (haha, one of my favorites)!

Veteran Member

Now we know that purslane here is 'beldroega'. My husband found some yesterday at the organic farmers' market, and we had it in mixed salads yesterday and today. Mystery solved! It came in such a huge bunch that we shared it with some friends; we probably wouldn't have eaten it all before it started withering.

Thread Information