Thread: FDA AVOCADO WARNING: UNWASHED SKINS COULD LEAD TO LISTERIA POISONING

Default FDA AVOCADO WARNING: UNWASHED SKINS COULD LEAD TO LISTERIA POISONING

ARISTOS GEORGIOU
    12/24/18

Avocados are one of the nation’s favorite foods. But did you know you should wash the skin before eating them? That’s the advice of a Food and Drug Administration report which found that pathogens can be transferred from the peel to the edible flesh inside when you cut them open.
    As part of an initiative to keep contaminated food from reaching consumers, the FDA collected more than 1,500 avocado samples over a period of 18 months between 2014 and 2016 to determine the prevalence two types of bacteria which can cause potentially serious infections; salmonella and listeria monocytogenes.
    Continue Reading at:https://www.newsweek.com/fda-avocado...soning-1270197
    Last edited by Islander; 12-24-18 at 09:49 AM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: FDA AVOCADO WARNING: UNWASHED SKINS COULD LEAD TO LISTERIA POISONING

Avocados are one of the few vegetables I enjoy that I cannot grow myself so yes, I wash them. But the percentages they found were so low that I doubt I'll live in fear of an unwashed avocado.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: FDA AVOCADO WARNING: UNWASHED SKINS COULD LEAD TO LISTERIA POISONING

"But the percentages they found were so low that I doubt I'll live in fear of an unwashed avocado." The stats I heard on the TV news was as much as 1 in 5 avocados were contaminated on the skins. The website article comes close to the TV news report at 17%, that percentage is pretty significant....like Russian roulette.

I'm just getting over some kind of stomach disorder (lysteria, salmonella, e-coli, ???) I got from munching unwashed ORGANIC strawberries while driving home from a grocery shopping trip in late November. I don't ever want to have to go through that experience again, especially at my advanced age.

Admittedly though, strawberries are much more pervious than thick skinned avocados, and are very vulnerable to contamination by being peed or pooped on by animals and humans out in the field, due to their low-to-the-ground plant confirmation. At least avocados are a lot easier to wash due to their thick, impervious, outer skin.

https://www.newsweek.com/fda-avocado...soning-1270197
    Last edited by grulla; 12-24-18 at 11:55 AM.

They tested only 361 for listeria on the skin, finding 17.73%. They then tested 1,254 of the avocados for listeria in the pulp, finding three — out of 1,254. What percent is that? My math says 0.23%. Why didn't they test all 1,234 for contamination in the pulp? Then we might be comparing, well, avos to avos... which they either did not do, or did not report.
    Still, thanks for the reminder. We should always wash produce we purchase, not just the ones we are going to slice into and potentially carry something from the skin into the pulp. Even organic produce had to be handled and packed by human hands which may or may not have been gloved. When I worked on a truck farm, none of us were gloved when we packed produce. That could explain your tummy troubles.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yet another reason to know your farmer. When I can go over to look at the trees, and then buy some of the avocados which came from those trees, I do feel more comfortable in eating them. I like to support the local economy, as well.

UPDATE: More listeria in avocados found in 6 states:
    https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...sible-listeria

PS: This just arrived in my email appx 8:30 AM:
    https://www.ecowatch.com/avocado-rec...264d6-85964677
    Last edited by grulla; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:42 AM.

Thread Information