Thread: ‘For 30 years I’ve been obsessed by why children get leukaemia. Now we have an answer

Default ‘For 30 years I’ve been obsessed by why children get leukaemia. Now we have an answer

Robin McKie
    30 Dec 2018

The idea might seem eccentric; cancers are not usually defeated so simply. However, Professor Greaves is confident and, given his experience in the field, his ideas are being taken seriously by other cancer researchers.
    Based at the Institute of Cancer Research in London, Greaves has been studying childhood leukaemia for three decades. On Friday, it was announced that he had received a knighthood in the New Year honours list for the research he has carried out in the field.

Keep reading: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...MEHsYWnNeaf0tc

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: ‘For 30 years I’ve been obsessed by why children get leukaemia. Now we have an an

Wonderful news! We learn more and more about the microbiome day by day.

Default Re: ‘For 30 years I’ve been obsessed by why children get leukaemia. Now we have an an

If Professor Greaves research shows a link between a child's gut microbiome and leukemia, I would suggest he broaden his research to examine the impact on gut microbiome from the persistent overuse of childhood antibiotics and immunization vaccines. He may be surprised at the results. But then, maybe not.

Excellent suggestion. Wonder whether anyone else thought of it....

Antibiotics don't work on common colds, ear infections & other frequent childhood illnesses that are caused by viruses. Yet, antibiotics are almost always prescribed for these viral infections. Most docs know antibiotics don't work on viruses, but some prescribe them because they say it helps to put the parents at ease. Wow...really? What they may not know is that all antibiotics wipe out healthy gut microbiome, wreaking havoc on the child's immune system for months, if not years. Funny that Professor Greaves is looking for ways to reconstitute gut microbiome in children. Hey, here's a thought. Start by not destroying a child's healthy existing flora with antibiotics when they're not needed.

A lot of "common knowledge" seems not to be taught in pre-med or med school... things that you and I take for granted. I listen to public radio while working in the kitchen or during drive time. A day or two ago there was a talk on the obesity epidemic and nutrition, and there was general agreement that doctors are virtually uneducated on human nutrition. One recommended substituting nutrition for organic chemistry (said he never did learn anything useful in organic chemistry in pre-med)! I think the challenge would be to determine which version of human nutrition is going to be taught, since there seem to be so many conflicting opinions about what is good for us.

Thread Information