Thread: What Foods Are Banned In Europe But Not Bannedi In The U.S.?

Default What Foods Are Banned In Europe But Not Bannedi In The U.S.?

Roni Caryn Rabin
    December 28 2018

The European Union prohibits many food additives and various drugs that are widely used in American foods.

Q.
    What foods are banned in Europe that are not banned in the United States, and what are the implications of eating those foods?

A. The European Union prohibits or severely restricts many food additives that have been linked to cancer that are still used in American-made bread, cookies, soft drinks and other processed foods. Europe also bars the use of several drugs that are used in farm animals in the United States, and many European countries limit the cultivation and import of genetically modified foods.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/w...ed-states.html
    Last edited by Islander; 01-01-19 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: What Foods Are Banned In Europe But Not Bannedi In The U.S.?

I think that over time we have reported on every one of these troubling ingredients. I have to mention that in other contexts, I've heard that people who cannot digest or tolerate American commercial breads can eat any European breads when they travel abroad.

There's a term for the criteria used by the EU to ban specific ingredients; it's called the Precautionary Principle: "When an activity raises threats of harm to human health or the environment, precautionary measures should be taken even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically." ... or, better to be safe than sorry. What troubles me is that well-known brand-name manufacturers have complied with EU restrictions on product ingredients (everything from foods to categories like cleaning agents, e.g., laundry detergent) but fail to carry out the same restrictions here at home. That may change as increasingly well-informed consumers make demands, express their preferences, or simply stop buying products containing BGH, HFCS or canola oil, etc.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

. What troubles me is that well-known brand-name manufacturers have complied with EU restrictions on product ingredients (everything from foods to categories like cleaning agents, e.g., laundry detergent) but fail to carry out the same restrictions here at home. .
    What puzzles me is if they can successfully remove these products and they are still edible, or effective (eg cleaning products), why add them in the first place? It makes little sense.

I know. Maybe replacing a harmful ingredients with a harmless one results in a more expensive product? Although prices seem to be rising so fast it makes my head spin — who would even notice a little bump in the price of an existing product?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Manufacturers depend on their product developers to design the products and use whatever ingredients they deem fit. Several times I've inquired about why a manufacturer used certain ingredients in their products only to be told they were truly not aware that a specific ingredient was harmful. We've seen aspartame, for example, virtually disappear from most breakfast cereals because of consumer uproar. And, same is true with HFCS, as Islander mentioned. In general, I don't believe manufacturers intentionally use harmful ingredients. They're just ignorant, and once brought to their attention (consumer protest), they willingly reverse course. (So, now that I've given them the benefit of the doubt, I should say that once they remove an ingredient for the EU, it should be removed for consumers everywhere. No excuses!)

Thread Information