Thread: Vitamin E Wards Off Glaucoma And Cataracts

Default Vitamin E Wards Off Glaucoma And Cataracts

No author
    April 7 2010

There's a simple and effective way you can ward off glaucoma - the second leading cause of blindness - and other eye problems such as cataracts, researchers have reported this week. If you're a contact lens wearer, just add a few drops of vitamin E into the lens before putting it into the eye. The vitamin, an antioxidant, can help fight eye diseases such as glaucoma and cataracts, and it also blocks UV radiation, which can also damage the eye. The one problem is that the eyes natural tears can wash away the vitamin before it can do its good work.

Read more: https://www.wddty.com/news/2010/04/v...8&utm_content=

Default Re: Vitamin E Wards Off Glaucoma And Cataracts

Yuck, put vit. E on a contact lens before putting it on your eye.....sounds messy. Why not just consume the vit. E. I read that the tocotrienol form of vit. E--not the ever popular tocopherol type--is very beneficial for the eyes. In this one study, tocotrienols delayed the onset and progression of cataracts. Actually, there are number of benefits derived from supplementing with both types of vit. E---tocopherols & tocotrienols. I take each type on separate days because they compete with each other and tocopherols overpower trienols.

"The one problem is that the eyes natural tears can wash away the vitamin before it can do its good work."

Years ago, we ordered a 12 pack of mini squeeze tubes in 1/8th oz (3.5 gram) Pfizer Vetenarian Terramycin eye ointment which I still keep in the fridge in case of my 4 remaining, former breeding stock mares should happen to contract pinkeye, (conjunctivitis).

My point is that it begs the question as to why the Vit. E couldn't be mixed in an appropriate eye ointment base to help prevent that Vit E from being easily washed away by tears.
    The print on the eye ointment package label describes it as, "Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment" so perhaps a compounding pharmacy could formulate that with a good quality Vit E in an eye ointment base (as opposed to terramycin) ??? I am trying to do a search to see if such a thing already exists, especially since this (otherwise timeless) article is dated April 7th, 2010.
    Last edited by grulla; 01-04-19 at 11:07 AM.

Vit E can be obtained in liquid form with an "eye" dropper, but some are adulterated with flavoring for a palatable taste. Organic CCO MIGHT be a suitable ointment base for the liquid Vit E, do the research. And also, make sure the Vit E is the natural d-tocopherol, and not the synthetic dl-tocopherol, as discussed in this recent HH thread.
    https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...hlight=vitamin

Here is yet another recent eye remedy article, using curcumin: https://www.wddty.com/news/2018/08/c...-glaucoma.html

Here I come again with my perpetual chorus: vitamin C to the rescue. I was diagnosed with "baby" cataracts about 25 years ago. Medicare pays for an annual eye exam so I go; the cataracts are still "babies," if they are there at all. I'll be 78 next month and all my friends who are still alive (yes, some younger than me) have had cataract surgery.
    I looked up the causes of glaucoma; none seem to be lifestyle-related and with one exception, none apply to me. It could be hereditary, but of the two family members who lived long enough to develop it, one had macular degeneraton; the other was fine.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

There's actually proof for "vit. C to the rescue." Research shows that oxidation is a contributing factor to developing cataracts. Given vit. C's high antioxidant powers, it makes perfect sense that it would help prevent or slow down the progression of cataracts. You're right again!!!!

Dang, I'm on a roll! I take 4g/day but everyone's needs are different.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information