Thread: Curry Spice Boosts Exercise Performance In Mice With Heart Failure

Default Curry Spice Boosts Exercise Performance In Mice With Heart Failure

No author
    January 29 2018

New research suggests that curcumin, a main ingredient in curry, may improve exercise intolerance related to heart failure. The study is published ahead of print in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
    Curcumin, a chemical that comes from the turmeric plant, has been used as a traditional Asian medicine for centuries, primarily to treat gastrointestinal ailments and skin wounds. Studies increasingly suggest that the compound may prevent or limit muscle wasting associated with a number of health conditions, including heart failure.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1129122448.htm

Default Re: Curry Spice Boosts Exercise Performance In Mice With Heart Failure

Curcumin, like vitamin C complex, is quickly moving to the top of my list as a panacea for all that ails us.

I'm beginning to think that I should be shoppingfor turmeric root as I do for ginger root. The problem: ginger root is readily available in supermarkets. Not so turmeric; the nearest source is an 80-mile RT and I combine errands before I drive to that destination. I sure miss my Prius with its 55 mpg!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

As for myself, I am so grateful that both turmeric root and ginger root are available at the farm stand which I patronize each week. When it is about to be at the end of its growing season, turmeric root and ginger root can be frozen, then thawed in small amounts later when needed.

Fresh turmeric is really expensive here. I bought some in an (unsuccessful) attempt to grow it, and I think it was around $50kg. Ginger can be expensive at the beginning of the season, but comes down in price later. As they need similar conditions, I don't know why there is such a big price difference.

Maybe one is harder to grow or less productive? Or is it supply & demand? (I haven't priced turmeric root).

I find I can freeze ginger, and easily slice/dice the frozen root with a good sharp knife.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information