Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Kept Secrets To Prevent, Halt Or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

Default Best Kept Secrets To Prevent, Halt Or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

Katherine Carroll
    September 10 2017

Have you ever felt your money was wasted on supplements? That even though you consistently followed the protocol from your health-care practitioner you were not getting the results others obtained with the same program? You may have been right! We've helped hundreds of patients with age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) with these healing secrets designed to help "non-responders"; those for whom the average supplement and dietary protocol fails to work.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/bes...d=%5BUNIQID%5D

Default Re: Best Kept Secrets To Prevent, Halt Or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

I've read that incidence of macular degeneration is lower in the South, and this was attributed to the increased consumption of greens, especially collard greens, standard Southern fare. Consequently I eat a lot of greens, as well as the orange vegetables (winter squash, sweet potatoes, carrots etc.) — all good sources of lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene. High consumption of this group of vegetables is also said to assist in memory...where I could definitely use some assistance!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Best Kept Secrets To Prevent, Halt Or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

@Islander: You nailed it with the leafy greens, carrots, etc.....all excellent sources of lutein & zeaxanthin. In addition, the article noted that carotenoids, like lutein & zeaxanthin, are "fat soluble" like vitamins A, E, D, & K. So, these fat or lipid soluble nutrients flow better to the eyes if the HDL cholesterol is high...somewhere around 60 or higher. So, HDL is not only heart protective, but protective for your eyes, too.

Mine is up there. Anyone else reading this, please take note: cholesterol is your friend. I hope you understand that to be true, and if you were ever taking statins, now is the time to discontinue them.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Have you ever felt your money was wasted on supplements? That even though you consistently followed the protocol from your health-care practitioner you were not getting the results others obtained with the same program? You may have been right! We've helped hundreds of patients with age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) with these healing secrets designed to help "non-responders"; those for whom the average supplement and dietary protocol fails to work.
    Wow, great article, Julieanne!

Another secret for preventing ARMD is to control the type and timing of the light and other solar radiation that your body receives, as all-important melatonin is critical to preventing degeneration in that it is one of the most important pieces in nightly cone regeneration in the eye and a lack of regeneration is nothing but degeneration. Visual and non-visual radiation is in charge of your melatonin production. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3462291/
    Last edited by Islander; 01-30-19 at 10:46 AM.

Sad coincidence: I had my annual eye exam yesterday and the doc found the very beginning of macular degeneration. So in addition to all the measures I routinely take, he's recommended a supplement, Preservision. I'm snowed in today so don't have it yet but I think we can guess what's in it, yes?

@Islander: I'm familiar with Preservision. Not sure this would benefit you. The main ingredient is ascorbic acid, which you already max out on. Also, the vitamin E in the product is "synthetic," the dl - alpha tocopherol, instead of natural d - tocopherol. The other ingredients--mainly zinc & copper--you can find better natural sources. Plus, this stuff is expensive, ranging from $32 for 240 tablets to $49 for 210 capsules, if you get the type with omega-3 in it. I think you can do better. If you do decide to purchase, go to their website and print out the $4 savings coupon.

Thanks so much for being on top of this, Mr. Wizard. Your breadth and depth of knowledge are invaluable!

Correction: I should have said in my comments above that ascorbic acid is "one" of the main ingredients in Preservision, instead of saying it was the "main" ingredient. Actually, the "main" ingredient is beta-carotene, a precursor of vit. A. Don't think the beta carotene in Preservision would be any better than dietary sources. In fact, most orange, red, & yellow fruits & veggies are loaded with beta carotene. Sweet potatoes contain the most, while carrots, butternut squash, cantaloupe, apricots, and red & orange bell peppers are excellent sources, too. Dark leafy veggies, like spinach, broccoli, podded peas, and lettuce also contain beta carotene.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-01-19 at 09:36 PM.

Knowing that there is a history of macular degeneration in my family, I have made a point of growing and getting adequate amounts of resources you mention, especially the dark leafy greens, the sweet potatoes & the winter squashes. Only one aunt lived long enough to have it. When she was two years older than I am now, it had progressed to the point where she could no longer live alone. I feel encouraged that at my age, there is only the first sign of it (I do get annual eye exams, so it was caught early.) I'll do all I can to defer it, including looking at melatonin as Stoneharbor mentioned.

Ophthalmologists have given me a clean bill of health as far as AMD and glaucoma are concerned, (so far), but I have other eye issues, the result of dairy/calcium abuse over the years resulting in brief one minute bouts of amaurosis fugax of the left eye which has ceased over a year ago after giving up most all dairy, an ishemic stroke resulting in a small dark spot in the 5 oclock edge of the right eye that has now reduced somewhat in size according to my ophtalmologist's tests, and floaters which are somewhat reduced also, but may have early, slight cataract. Three different eye conditions, but the common denominator appears to be arterial calcification.

I am going to visit a vascular surgeon soon, for an evaluation of my carotid arteries. Might need TCAR cleansing??? I do take nattokinase, serrapeptase, and EDTA in safe dosages to prevent ishemic stroke from dislodging sizable plaque from entering the eye artery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmGJRlPyNk

Some of the natural supplements that I have encountered for eye health are lutein, bilberry extract, Vit A in low, safe dosages that I routinely take, as well as other supps that I take mentioned in this eye health link: https://www.organicfacts.net/vitamins-eye-health.html
    Last edited by grulla; 02-01-19 at 11:59 AM.

Veteran Member

Stoneharbor (or anybody else): Does supplemental melatonin also help the eyes? I take a high quality liquid melatonin most nights.

@Pattypans: Research shows that supplementing melatonin can be a preventive and therapeutic agent in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). One study stated that melatonin is synthesized "mainly" in the pineal gland, but it is also produced in many other organs, including the retina. Here's a link to a study that concluded 100 patients with AMD improved their condition by supplementing with 3 mg. of melatonin at bedtime for 6 months.
    https://www.lifeextension.com/Protoc...ration/Page-05

Thanks for that link, Mr. Wizard.
    Patty, I forget who posted this link. Might have been Stoneharbor or the Wiz. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3462291/

Yet another approach to slow macular degeneration: coconut oil, about 1 T/day. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/coc...d=%5BUNIQID%5D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information