Thread: Measles: The New Red Scare

Default Measles: The New Red Scare

Roman Bystrianyk
    Jul 31, 2015

Let’s take a deep breath, step back from the hysteria, and look at some information that is never part of the discussion about measles in the US.

Fear. It’s a natural and primal human emotion. While human instinct is exceptional in evaluating and reacting to a natural personal risk, as in facing a predator, humans are terrible at assessing modern risks. According to Psychology Today[1] this is because our ancestors were programmed to quickly react and respond to a situation before it is even consciously perceived. Our reactions aren’t based in logic and statistics, but in lightning fast primitive responses. Threats such as venomous spiders and snakes[2] cause an out-of-proportion fear compared with the more likely threat of being killed in a car crash.[3] The low risk of a being killed in a shark attack[4] evokes more terror than the much greater chance of dying from a prescription drug.[5] (Spider and snake bites kill approximately 13 people a year and shark attacks kill 1 person every 2 years in the United States; there were 32,719 deaths in motor vehicle crashes in 2013 and 38,329 people died from a drug overdose in 2010 in the United States.)

Keep reading: https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...4vfLWNCfD04Z_M
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Measles: The New Red Scare

The statement we hear over and over is, "Measles is highly contagious and potentially deadly." We've heard it echoed so often that we take it as gospel.
    It IS contagious — and one of the mildest of childhood diseases, alongside chicken pox and mumps. I read a recent statistic; I think it was one death in the last 12 years. There are rare side effects from the measles itself, and somewhat more common adverse events from the vaccine. But we know that as a motivator, fear works.

The "measles fear" works because the public is so uninformed. We don't read and/or think for ourselves anymore.

Sadly true. Did you know that Texas has prohibited school instruction in "critical †hinking"? What has happened to my country?

I've been posting a detailed, informative, evidence-based anti-vax thread on Facebook. All the expected arguments accumulate, but it's clear to me that none of them have read the two or three comments I placed immediately after the opening post to clarify and expand upon the rationale for rethinking the way we vaccinate our children. It becomes increasingly apparent to me that no one is prepared to read opposing views. Their minds are made up and they dare not risk being persuaded to any other point of view. I'm giving up.
    Last edited by Islander; 03-06-19 at 12:21 AM.

Veteran Member

Sorry to hear you're giving up, Islander. But I get it.

At yesterday's Senate committee hearing on vaccines, titled on their page (link below) "Vaccines Save Lives: What Is Driving Preventable Disease Outbreaks?" not one of the witnesses, according to Sayer Ji's newsletter, was a vaccine skeptic. And looking at their title, I guess you can see why: It looks as though they've made up their minds in total favor of vaccines, and now they want to get down to brass tacks about what to do about those pesky 'anti-vaxxers' and their websites. Rather ominous.

I didn't watch the hearings, but I just read the 'testimony' of one of the witnesses, a high schooler who, against his mother's wishes, started getting himself up to date on all the vaccines he'd never gotten. The last several paragraphs address the 'need' to stop 'misinformation' about vaccines from reaching concerned parents and others. Here is a quotation from the PDF of his 'testimony':

"The information leading people to fear for their children, for themselves, and for their families is causing outbreaks of preventable diseases. Therefore, combatting this information while also working towards legislative changes may help protect our nation from needless deaths. My story highlights this misinformation and how it spreads. Between social media platforms, to using a parent’s love as a tool, these lies cause people to distrust in vaccination, furthering the impact of a preventable disease outbreak and even contributing to the cause of diseases spreading. This needs to change and I only hope my story contributes to such advancements."

If anybody's interested, below is the link to the page I mentioned, which includes PDF files of the testimony of the various witnesses' testimonies.

https://www.help.senate.gov/hearings...eid=d250b62e20

Yes, thanks for the link, Pattypans. I'd like to hear some of it though I know it's predictable and will just raise my blood pressure. But it might also give me suggestions about which elected officials I might write to.

The Senate Committee on Health's hearing on vaccines is tantamount to the "fox watching the hen house." This is laughable. These lawmakers are touting the benefits of vaccines because BigPharma fattens their coffers to do their dirty work. Members of Congress spend half their time raising money for their re-elections. The pharmaceutical industry contributes "millions of dollars" every year to the re-election campaigns of Congress. Check out this database: Pharma Cash to Congress.
    Link: https://khn.org/news/campaign/

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Sadly true. Did you know that Texas has prohibited school instruction in "critical †hinking"? What has happened to my country?
    Wow. So, critical thinking is the ability to analyze facts "objectively" to form a judgment. Critical thinking is the root of the ability to "reason." So, it makes sense that we've become a population of people who don't want to hear or read about opposing views. Absent critical thinking skills, one does not know how to tackle an opposing view, much less rebut one. When schools and parents cease to teach young people to think critically, well, we get moronic behavior.

Veteran Member

I think in times past (not so distant, though), a lot of this was taught by our parents' conversation and example around the dinner table, for example. But family dinners are becoming rarer, and more and more families are relegating to the school things that used to be absorbed, observed, and otherwise taught by families in what used to be the normal course of what used to be normal life. And the government seems ever eager to take these things upon themselves.

I realize that this is not true of all families in all socio-economic strata, but my mother, divorced from the time I was a baby, and working outside the home only because she had to in order to support us, did a darned good job. We weren't poor, but we weren't rich either, not by a long shot.

We have some things in common then. I made a bad first marriage and divorced when my daughters were both still in diapers, meaning that for the first seven years of motherhood I was pretty much responsible for supporting my children. My own family always sat down to a home-cooked meal in the evening, and that was how I raised my family through adulthood. Recovering from divorce, in my own apartment, we sat on the kitchen floor to eat our evening meal from a big carton. As time went on of course I picked up secondhand furniture and the basics, but the tradition of sharing the evening meal with the family came with my Irish husband as well, and that was how all of our children were raised. But I can remember as early as 1974, my kids' friends were already as pre-teens, accustomed to microwaving their own meals or heating a TV dinner and watching television, with or without family present.

Thread Information