Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. Toni Bark simply schools Washington Legislators

Default Re: Dr. Toni Bark simply schools Washington Legislators

Tell us more! Are you copying ingredients from a label? I often read labels and think "I could make that a lot cheaper myself by buying the separate ingredients." I guess most people couldn't be bothered, but I actually get a certain amount of satisfaction from doing my own thing.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:13 AM.

There's an old tv commercial that begins, "Well, I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv." Well I'm not a compounding pharmacist but I play one on the internet. I looked up the ingredients for PreserVision and lo and behold, the first (and largest) ingredient is vitamin C, 500 mg. Guess what? I already take 8000 mg/day. Next is vitamin E, 400 IU, and again, I take that routinely as well. The remaining ingredients are copper, zinc, lutein and zeaxanthin, all available for pennies online.

To be sure, I phoned Life Extension, the company in which I place the most confidence and trust. Actually, I started with a question. I take their Two-Per-Day vitamin & mineral supplement and it contains all of the above components with the exception of copper and I wanted to know why. The answer: some people cannot tolerate copper so to be on the safe side, they omit it. There are so many dietary sources of copper that I'm sure I'm fine, but to be compliant I ordered copper, zinc, lutein and zeaxanthin since they're so cheap and available in tiny doses.

I hope that encourages you, Julieanne. I ended up placing my order with Vitacost, my usual source, because in a side-by-side comparison they had the exact dosages I needed and were a bit cheaper. And just BTW, my 53-y-o daughter has the exact same signs of early AREDS. I attribute my amazing bone health, 20-20 vision, late onset of AREDS, and the fact that the "baby" cataracts that were diagnosed 20 years ago are still babies, to the megadoses of vitamin C I've been taking for most of my life.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Not that I am pushing this product, but just for information, Life Extension does have a mixture called Only Trace Minerals, which includes Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Boron, and Vanadyl Sulfate. This seems like it might be a good way to add these as a supplement, while regulating one's calcium, magnesium, and/or iron, as one sees fit for one's own needs.

That's good to know, Maurya. Thank you.

I'm wary of taking copper as most people get plenty from their water pipes here in Oz. Is the situation very different in the US?

Supplementing with trace minerals, like copper, is extremely tricky. We get copper from utensils, tea kettles, pots & pans, and pipes, although older copper pipes don't leach anywhere near as much as newer ones (according to my plumber). As with all vitamins & minerals, the amount you need depends on your lifestyle & your diet. For ex., high intake of vitamin C (more than 1,500 mg. per day) and zinc, are two major inhibitors of copper. Vit. C and zinc compete with the absorption of copper and, preferably, should not be taken at the same time. This is why I don't take "multi-vit." supplements because they combine all these together. Point is: if one supplements with high amounts of vit. C and/or zinc, additional copper supplementation "may" be necessary.

And that would be me. Further, that OTC AREDS pill I'm taking contains both.
    << deep sigh >>

As to the water pipes, one should take the local situation into consideration. Around here copper rarely is used for water supply piping, but almost exclusively PVC and CPVC piping. Supplementing with a small amount of copper, such as 2 mg, might be sensible for a person who is using large amounts of supplemental zinc, for whatever purpose is appropriate to that person.

@Maurya: Agree, I supplement with a 2.5 mg chelated copper tablet about every other day. I alternate every other day with zinc (15 mg. chelated) and copper supplements. I don't own any copper cookware or utensils, but probably get a little from 25 yr. old pipes and diet. Also, it's probably a good idea to let water run from the faucet for a minute or so first thing in the morning to minimize the concentration of minerals that may have collected in the pipes overnight. One of my pet peeves is observing people drink the first glass of water out of the faucet after the faucets have sat dormant all night long. Whew, yuck!!!
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:06 PM.

Haha, I do the same thing. Since I have to conserve water, the first pitchers go to plants and pets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information