Thread: ‘This has poisoned everything’ – pollution casts shadow over NM’s booming dairy indus

Default ‘This has poisoned everything’ – pollution casts shadow over NM’s booming dairy indus

Amy Linn
    Wed 20 Feb 2019

For months, Clovis, New Mexico, dairy farmer Art Schaap has been watching his life go down the drain. Instead of selling milk, he is dumping 15,000 gallons a day – enough to provide a carton at lunch to 240,000 children. Instead of working 24/7 to keep his animals healthy, he’s planning to exterminate all 4,000 of his cows, one of the best herds in his county’s booming dairy industry.
    The 54-year-old second-generation dairy farmer learned last August that his water, his land, his crops – even the blood in his body – were contaminated with chemicals that migrated to his property from nearby Cannon air force base.

Continue reading:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other
    Last edited by Islander; 02-21-19 at 09:24 PM. Reason: 100 words

Default Re: ‘This has poisoned everything’ – pollution casts shadow over NM’s booming dairy i

I can think of few things that have made me angrier so far this year... and give current events in the U.S., that's saying a lot. Considering the wealth of the military, let's put an end to fire drills and pay Mr. Schaap every thin dime his lawyer can squeeze out of the Air Force in his lawsuit.

Grulla, are you anywhere near this pollution? Further, the Oglalla aquifer is massive. I can't get over the magnitude. Dear Lord, given how dairy products are produced and distributed, the contamination may well be nationwide. I have to wonder what kind of meatheads knowingly allowed this to go on! They should be strung up by their genitals and allowed to twist in the wind, every last one, right up the line, to the top brass in the Pentagon if that's where it leads.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: ‘This has poisoned everything’ – pollution casts shadow over NM’s booming dairy i

It's not just cleaning up that's needed, this farmer and others need to be compensated for loss of land and livelihood. This is truly shocking.

"Islander", "Grulla", are you anywhere near this pollution?" No, Clovis is on the east edge of NM where the west edge of that massive, overburdened, and vulnerable Ogallala aquifer is located. I live near the west edge of the state nearer to AZ, and am blessed with a clean mountain water shed district. So far, our only water concerns here might be some naturally occurring fluoride in the well water, depending where one is located.
    Also, recent and contentious NM state supreme court decisions have found that the area copper mining industry to be safe and compliant to environmental groundwater regulations. I live over 10 miles from an open copper pit Foster-McMoran mine, (formerly Phelps-Dodge).
    http://www.scdailypress.com/site/201...s-copper-rule/

Thread Information