Thread: FDA Just Approved a New Prescription Weight-Management Device. Here's How It Works

Default FDA Just Approved a New Prescription Weight-Management Device. Here's How It Works

Jamie Ducharme
    April 15, 2019

In a rare move, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a novel prescription device meant to help with weight management.
    The product, called Plenity and developed by Gelesis, has been cleared for overweight or obese adults with a body mass index of at least 25, even if they do not have other health problems. It should be used in conjunction with diet and exercise, the FDA says, and can also be taken alongside other weight-loss medications.

Read more: http://time.com/5570718/plenity-weig...3a%22USA%22%7d
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: FDA Just Approved a New Prescription Weight-Management Device. Here's How It Work

At two pounds/week, this is on a par with Weight Watchers. But will it encourage healthier choices? Is it any cheaper, I wonder?

Default Re: FDA Just Approved a New Prescription Weight-Management Device. Here's How It Work

Taking a tablet that 'fills you up' may be a good idea. but I suspect really overweight folks don't just eat when they're hungry. They eat and snack for many other reasons, usually high carb foods. I guess it would be helpful if you were on a diet that restricted the amount of food you ate, which can be hard.

I don't get out much, and when I do it's usually in a rural area, but it always surprises me that people walk around with food or drink in their hand as often as not. In public! And of course the fast food drive-throughs have a queue no matter what time of the day or evening. Yes, Julie, people eat for many reasons, and the least of them is probably hunger.

Thread Information