Thread: Stress Mess: 3 In 5 Millennials Say Life More Stressful Now Than Ever Before

Default Stress Mess: 3 In 5 Millennials Say Life More Stressful Now Than Ever Before

Ben Renner
    March 18, 2019

From slow WiFi to broken phone screens to zero “likes” on social media, everyday stressors are causing young adults to have struggles falling asleep 138 nights each year, researchers say.

NEW YORK — Smartphones and digital technology are supposed to make our lives easier, but for young adults, it seems that things may only be getting tougher — and for a slew of reasons. According to one recent survey, about 3 out of 5 millennials (58%) feel life is more stressful right now than ever before.
    In fact, the survey of 2,000 American millennials, commissioned by CBD oil companyEndoca, reveals that one-third of millennials believe their lives are more stressful than the average person’s life.

Continue reading: https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-millennials-life-more-stressful-than-ever-before/
    Last edited by Islander; 03-18-19 at 08:13 PM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: Stress Mess: 3 In 5 Millennials Say Life More Stressful Now Than Ever Before

So, if 3 in 5 millennials (60 percent) find life more stressful, then that means the other 2 in 5 (40 percent) don't find life more stressful than ever before. Let's dig deep and study the 40% to determine how they've managed to cope and deal with the same life stressors experienced by the 60%.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 03-19-19 at 09:51 AM.

Default Re: Stress Mess: 3 In 5 Millennials Say Life More Stressful Now Than Ever Before

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    From slow WiFi to broken phone screens to zero “likes” on social media, everyday stressors are causing young adults to have struggles falling asleep 138 nights each year, researchers say.
    As I've said before, First World problems! These kids have obviously never felt real stress, like war, or famine. They seem to have no resilience. Slow WiFi may be annoying, but stressful?
    Last edited by Islander; 03-18-19 at 08:15 PM.

Excellent points, Julieanne. However, the struggle is real, as they say. Millennials are dealing with issues we never had, like the burden of student loans and the high cost of housing.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Agreed, but they are at the bottom of the list! 17. School loan payments 18. Job security - these are real stressors.

OK, I didn't read the list. But "choosing what to wear"? "Washing dishes"? Stressful? Oh please. I was also surprised (I shouldn't have been) at the size of the role that phones play in millennials' lives. I have to appreciate that more social interaction goes on on their phone than in real life.

This age group experienced the unspeakable horror of the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on the Pentagon and the New York World Trade Center, killing roughly 3,000 people. I don't think anyone can truly know the impact of this tragedy on millenials, many of whom would have been young elementary and high school students at the time of this attack. My son is a millenial. I continue to watch for signs this tragedy may have had on his life. Who can really know the impact of 9/11 on young people, not only in the U.S. but around the world.

That never occurred to me, Mr. Wizard. And it isn't even on the list!

As a young woman I lived through, in rapid succession, the assassination of John Fitzerald Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy. There was a lot of sadness and grief around these events, but I don't recall their being stressful or traumatic.

Excellent point. I too was a young man when the assassinations of MLK, Jr. & Bobby Kennedy occurred exactly two months apart in April & June 1968. And, I remember being very sad, but--as you said--not stressed or traumatized. Millenials would have been between 3 and 18 yrs. old on 9/11. I wonder how traumatic the MLK & Kennedy assassinations would have been on us had we been in grammar school or middle school, like many of the millenials. No one can know for sure, but it seems the slaughter of 3,000 people on the same day would bend the psyche of a young mind in ways that an assassination of two prominent politicians 2 months apart, perhaps, would not. I remember hearing my parents talk about the trauma associated with the Pearl Harbor attack, which killed about 2,400 sailors & soldiers in less than 2 hours. They were truly traumatized, although the words trauma & stress weren't a part of the lexicon back in their day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    an assassination of two prominent politicians 2 months apart
    Three. Are you forgetting JFK? To me, the most tragic of all.

I said 2 because I was thinking only 1968 when both MLK, Jr. & Bobby Kennedy were killed 2 months apart. But, yeah, JFK was tragic, but I was in grammar school in 1963 when JFK was killed. The 2 in 1968 bothered me more because I was older.

People are beginning to become so concerned about what today's traumatized, psychically wounded young people will do when they grow up, and yet out of the other side of their mouths they heap scorn upon the "baby boom" generation for fucking the world up. As I recall, as a high school senior in 1968, the world was well and truly falling apart. None of the old rules applied, and there were no new rules. The young adults of that generation faced a world of no jobs when graduating school, and a world of endless, senseless war. And yet, rather than hand wringing about how traumatized we all must have been, we have been held responsible for the mess that the very few elite, privileged amongst us have wrought. Such colossal hypocrisy!

Amen, Maurya!

Thread Information